Loud blower fan - Can I disconnect it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shep546

Oct 31, 2020
Eastern Canada
Hey guys,

I have a 1 year old Quadrafire PS35 stove.

I find the "blower" motor that spreads air through the room to be quite loud.

My pellet stove is in a contained basement and I don't believe I really need it.

Am I able to disconnect that fan?

Thanks in advance.

Can't it be turned down? But NO is the answer. Pellet stove is designed with that fan to remove heat to room. It would heat up and shut down I bet.

By disconnecting it you may cause an overheat condition, is it rubbing on the housing or do the bearings need some lube? I’d shut it down and squirt some 3in1 oil in the bearings

Heat Output Controls
This appliance is equipped with a heat output control
switch that has three settings or burn rates; low,
medium and high (Figure 10.1). The appliance will
turn on and off as the thermostat demands. When the
thermostat calls for heat, the appliance will always start
up on High. After burning approximately 4 minutes,
the appliance will then burn at the rate at which it was
originally set. If the appliance is set at one of the lower
settings, it will run quieter
but takes longer to heat
up an area than if it were set at a higher burn rate.

Thanks for the advice regarding disconnecting the blower.

Even when the fan was brand new the blower ran loud. The manual says the blow fan is not to be lubed... the only cleaning guide is to remove and brush but most of it is in a housing...

Even when the fan was brand new the blower ran loud. The manual says the blow fan is not to be lubed... the only cleaning guide is to remove and brush but most of it is in a housing...
Makes no sense. The fan has a motor and the motor has bearings and when the bearings dry out it gets louder. Maybe their panacea is just buy a new one........

Makes no sense. The fan has a motor and the motor has bearings and when the bearings dry out it gets louder. Maybe their panacea is just buy a new one........
Only makes sense for the company, not the user.

Like when I see a device with a sticker that says “no user serviceable parts inside” I’m like “watch me”. Years without money taught me how to fix things that most people don’t.

I'm of that school of thought as well. In fact if it says 'no user serviceable parts inside', I'm chafing at the bit to take it apart and improve on it.

Reactions: tlc1976
Definitely an invite in our minds

When I was much younger, I had a Kawasaki motorcycle I used to take apart and put back together all the time and every time I did, I always had parts left over and it always seemed to run better each time. Go figure that one out.

Reactions: Joe.G and Washed-Up

One of the primary reasons a convection blower is loud is the harmonics it makes that are transferred to the sheet metal heat exchanger. Easiest way to quiet down any blower is to isolate it from the sheet metal heat exchanger. On my units, you can buy an aftermarket red silicone gasket that isolates the blower harmonics and makes them run much quieter. I'm sure you could buy a small sheet of 1/16" thick silicone rubber and make a gasket. Has to be silicone rubber because it's heat resistant. OEM's use a cheap mineral wool gasket that provides no harmonics isolation.