Low profile Washington state compliant/cookstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiva333

Feb 13, 2011
Washington Coast
Hi all,
New to the list, and have a few questions...we are looking to buy a stove for the house we are currently building. It is 1200sq ft, two story house that is VERY well insulated. We don't like to be cold. We live on the Washington state coast, where it doesn't usually get below 20 degrees, and is on average 50-60 all year however it does blow 50-100mph often and that makes it chilly. We are also heating our home with a boiler outside the house to heat radiant floors.

We will be using it to burn dimensional lumber left over from demolishing two shacks that were on our land, as we would rather do that than throw it in a landfill. When that runs out we will burn wood from our property, mostly alder and lodgepole pine.

My hearts desire is to get a wood cookstove, but alas there are none that I can find that conform to Washington states restrictive guidlines. Does anyone know of one?

If that is not possible, the next best option is perhaps the Morso 2B Standard. I am imagining that the device on top may be able to be used to make a few things, a pot of beans, water for our coffee in the morning, ect. Maybe even some muffins if I enclose it with some steel plates? Just ideas bumping around in my head.

Another requirement is that it be low profile, as we have a tiny living room/entry area that is the most efficient place for the stove. It is in the center of the house and in front of the stairs, where the stovepipe would travel up through our bedroom which is the 2nd floor. I would love to have one that has a clearance of 6" or less to the rear and side to a non combustible surface.

Finally, we are looking to pay at max $2k.

Thank you in advance for your guidance I look forward to your replies.

Lee

The wife and I went to THIS place, and bought a Boston Foundry Cook Stove. I realize they are on the East Coast and you are on the WEST coast, but if nothing else.........it'll give you an idea of what's out there (eye candy) in the "Restoration" market. (http://www.goodtimestove.com)

-Soupy1957

neiva333 said:
Hi all,
New to the list, and have a few questions...we are looking to buy a stove for the house we are currently building. It is 1200sq ft, two story house that is VERY well insulated. We don't like to be cold. We live on the Washington state coast, where it doesn't usually get below 20 degrees, and is on average 50-60 all year however it does blow 50-100mph often and that makes it chilly. We are also heating our home with a boiler outside the house to heat radiant floors.

We will be using it to burn dimensional lumber left over from demolishing two shacks that were on our land, as we would rather do that than throw it in a landfill. When that runs out we will burn wood from our property, mostly alder and lodgepole pine.

My hearts desire is to get a wood cookstove, but alas there are none that I can find that conform to Washington states restrictive guidlines. Does anyone know of one?

If that is not possible, the next best option is perhaps the Morso 2B Standard. I am imagining that the device on top may be able to be used to make a few things, a pot of beans, water for our coffee in the morning, ect. Maybe even some muffins if I enclose it with some steel plates? Just ideas bumping around in my head.

Another requirement is that it be low profile, as we have a tiny living room/entry area that is the most efficient place for the stove. It is in the center of the house and in front of the stairs, where the stovepipe would travel up through our bedroom which is the 2nd floor. I would love to have one that has a clearance of 6" or less to the rear and side to a non combustible surface.

Finally, we are looking to pay at max $2k.

Thank you in advance for your guidance I look forward to your replies.

Lee

I was not aware we had lodgepole pine on this side of the state, thought it was all east of the cascades

Not familiar with Washington, but cook stoves are EPA exempt.

I would love to have one that has a clearance of 6†or less to the rear and side to a non combustible surface.

Codes and restrictions are for combustible materials.

Not much out there for under 2000. (new)
Cheapest and one of the best is a Bakers Choice. Amish built by Joe Tshirhart. (Quality Country Products .com) Not pretty, but they are cheap and very functional. Stainless where it counts in firebox and oven walls. These are $1695 delivered without water reservoir, top warming oven, or water coil. Perfect for power outage cooking, but heats up to 2000 s.f. enough to drive you out.
The Nectre Bakers Oven is more the heating capacity size you need. Nice, but $2245.
Most UL Listed cook stoves also require more floor protection.

Any cook stove should have firewood. 2 X 4s are ok to start it for kindling, but heat and cook with real wood. It's not an incinerator.

Attachments

• Bakers Oven.jpg
    Bakers Oven.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 507
Status
Not open for further replies.