Lowest Price on Pellets is NOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve NH

Hearth Supporter
Jun 17, 2008
SW NH
Well according to Pelletsales.com the best price for the season will be the next 2 weeks (March Del)
Then they list April delivery going up $ 10.00
May delivery going up another $ 10.00
August delivery going up another $ 20.00 (Nothing said about June-July)

So if you are waiting for the 'bottom' to drop on pellet prices - this is as good as it will get.

I'll call around a bit Monday to see if anyone else locally has anything different.

Just wondering, did you speak to someone by phone or are
you going by their website? On the web site they're only
showing one brand available to me, and the price is no different
than it was weeks ago.

Yes - just the website.
I check about once a week and up until just this past week I didn't see that they were posting anything past March.
Now that they are posting thru Aug I think they feel prices will only be going up from here.

Yes only that one brand listed. Fortunately for me I do like that brand.

I can get Corinth pellets for $269 delivered.

It is wayyy to early to state this...I seriously doubt that it is the lowest of the season since there are many factors to consider:

a. People are conserving their cash flow due the current economic conditions. With an increase number of wood pellet producers, supply will exceed demand this year...IMHO
b. There was a tremendous amount of upfront loading of wood pellets last year by people. A good percentage bought theirs when prices were reasonable and in some cases have 2 years of supply. Most will only buy when the pellets hit a certain price point...say $225 ton...
b. In about 6-8 weeks the oil dealers here will begin taking contracts for this coming winter. That being said, the cost of oil is about $1.75 here which is far more competitive than wood pellets.

In closing, I believe that these dealers are hurting now since commodity prices have dropped sharply and need to move product. I will take my chance and wait...if nothing else oil will be a reasonable price during contract time...but I will still pick up 1 maybe 2 tons for this coming year ONLY IF the price is $225/ton or less....I will not be extorted from by any energy dealers...either way I save my money and will only pay a "reasonable" cost... :cheese:

Ossy

I think I would tend to agree with Ossy. I can't believe that 09 prices will not go lower yet. The manufacturers were caught off-guard last fall. Supply is definately going to catch up. Even more manufacturers are starting up. I didn't visit their site (and I am always skeptical) but when they say the lowest prices of the season, they may be correct if they are referring to the 08-09 season. I think we will see better deals on the 2009-2010 burning season. Competition will still be high, so check other places. Don't just assume that one place is the best.

Me too! I just not falling for it yet. But the low price is going to depend on your area. Were a little higher here in CT. Seems lower out west. Might be $200 there.

I not budging till I see $235 or so!

just my 2
jay

Gimme a couple weeks.....still havent heard form a few pellet manufacturers, but theones Ive heard from are, in fact, mirroring what Steve NH is saying. Keep in mind the manufacturers also sign raw material contracts, and those are "set in stone" as well, but, as a buyer, you very well could find certain "bargains" of sitting product out there, especially in the Spring , but I believe that since the replacement cost of such product is so high, most dealers arent going to offer "deals".....that being said, most pricing is keyed off of location (how far from the mill).......the demand of the product wont change the raw material costs to the mill, so wont likely change the cost to the retailer, unless the mill panics with unsold supply, and lowers the price to the retailers......and I think thats unlikely. My kneejerk on this is probably to "pull the trigger" withing the next month or so......that trigger being to buy pellets if yer gonna, or start securing the alternate means of heat....wood, coal, etc.....BTW, anyone want to hazard a guess as to what oil prices will be in the fall/winter?

I keep close tabs on biomass markets because of my interest in entering the supply side of the market. I talk to 3 different pellet manufacturers close to me every month and they are all saying the same thing. HIGH if not higher than last years prices , this year.
Oil is also on the rise. Was just under $50 at one point this last week.We are just now coming into construction season and with the infrastructure stimulus diesel is very likely to be in high demand. I believe some of you will be disappointed if you wait to long to purchase this year.

just talked to my dealer here in wisconsin yesterday and early buy is $219 for 60 bag pallet of their house brand, up from $211 last year.

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,671
Blah Ho Vick said:
I keep close tabs on biomass markets because of my interest in entering the supply side of the market. I talk to 3 different pellet manufacturers close to me every month and they are all saying the same thing. HIGH if not higher than last years prices , this year.
Oil is also on the rise. Was just under $50 at one point this last week.We are just now coming into construction season and with the infrastructure stimulus diesel is very liely to be in high demand. I believe some of you will be disappointed if you wait to long to purchase this year.

nah, disapointment will go out the window, and there'll just be many posts about price gouging again! Never anyones fault for waiting, right? :)

Just outside of Philadelphia PA here, my dealer is $309 a ton. He said the supplier doesn't think the price will be dropping much because they are having problems getting the wood for the pellets. He said they are now using wood pulp and it's costing more to produce.

Great news for me as I just got (yesterday) my Harmon P68.

Lou

Louiscamp said:
Just outside of Philadelphia PA here, my dealer is $309 a ton. He said the supplier doesn't think the price will be dropping much because they are having problems getting the wood for the pellets. He said they are now using wood pulp and it's costing more to produce.

Great news for me as I just got (yesterday) my Harmon P68.

Lou

Shop around to find the best prices. You don't have to purchase pellets
from the dealer that sold you the stove if you don't want to.

picked up 2 &1;/2 ton from different dealers and the lowest out there is 269ton

I just picked up 1 ton of Green Team pellets from Lowes in Portland. They were $289 a ton. I had a 10 % coupon off any 1 purchase. I ended paying $260 for a ton. I also did the same thing at Home Depot in South Portland ,except they were the Rocky Mountain Pellets. I ended paying $520 for 2 tons,plus my time and effort. I am pleased. I don't heat my home exclusively with wood pellets. I heat with a combo of 3 things. My 3rd floor is zoned for the oil/forced hot water. I keep the thermostat at 55 during the day and 60 at night. My living room has a kerosene monitor in it,then my kitchen and family/dining room is heated with my Quadrafire Sante Fe. SO....2 tons should be enough. if not I will purchase more when needed.

burnemifyagotem said:
just talked to my dealer here in wisconsin yesterday and early buy is $219 for 60 bag pallet of their house brand, up from $211 last year.

60 bags per pallet. How much does a bag weigh?

unless it is a non standard bag it should weigh 40#, the HD near me had 1.25 ton pallets with 60 bags on them.
40x50=2000
40x60=2400
I think that a bag of pellets is more than 40# most of the time so they are not loosing as much this way or possibly gaining on us.

I just saw this on Pelletsales web site. It seems way to early to do this. I'm still burning, this season is even over yet.

rowerwet said:
unless it is a non standard bag it should weigh 40#, the HD near me had 1.25 ton pallets with 60 bags on them.
40x50=2000
40x60=2400
I think that a bag of pellets is more than 40# most of the time so they are not loosing as much this way or possibly gaining on us.

Yep.........something doesn't compute.

exoilburner said:
burnemifyagotem said:

60 bags per pallet. How much does a bag weigh?
I beleive it's a metric ton(they come from canada) 2400lbs

I feel lucky that I found pellets for next burning season for $225/ton. It's only $1 more than I paid last year for pellets.

I just checked the other day and corn is down to 182. Decisions, decisions corn or pellets what's a guy to do? I just love having a multifuel. It lets me pick and choose back and forth as price dictates. It is lookin like corn again for next year about now and I have a nice plywood bunker in my basement that will easily store a few tons.

I am having a haed time finding corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.