LP backup heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PipNH

Oct 31, 2016
Campton, New Hampshire
I posted this thread in the propane section but didn't get any responses so I'll try it here:

Anyone have experience with these types of LP heaters? We're looking at getting a used Energysaver 1004f (https://rinnai.co.nz/Product/22/rinnai-energysaver-1004ftr) as a secondary heat source for our wood stove but I can't find much info on them as the unit has been discontinued. I'm wondering if they're as efficient as people say.

We spend about 7.5 cents per kWh, but with all the fees we pay (remote access charges, etc) our bill is usually around $90.

I'm hoping this unit, won't jack up our bill since we'll only use it when we're away or need a little extra heat.

Any thoughts?

I posted this thread in the propane section but didn't get any responses so I'll try it here:

Anyone have experience with these types of LP heaters? We're looking at getting a used Energysaver 1004f (https://rinnai.co.nz/Product/22/rinnai-energysaver-1004ftr) as a secondary heat source for our wood stove but I can't find much info on them as the unit has been discontinued. I'm wondering if they're as efficient as people say.

We spend about 7.5 cents per kWh, but with all the fees we pay (remote access charges, etc) our bill is usually around $90.

I'm hoping this unit, won't jack up our bill since we'll only use it when we're away or need a little extra heat.

Any thoughts?

People really like their Rinnai heaters but they are not condensing so are not that efficient compared to a modern condensing furnace. 80% vs. 95+%. BUT, and a big BUT, you have no duct losses which can add up to 15% if your ducts are junk as so many are. So it's a wash.

I think they look a little cheezy not unlike an old RV furnace but the performance is good. They are pretty expensive when new.

When will the backup heat be used? Rinnai is a great brand but they need power. If backup heat is needed during an outage you might want to look at something with either standing pilot or battery backup for the electronics.

I have a little propane heater made by Vanguard. Got this heater installed 21 years ago when I built the house.
This is a great little heater. Not vented. It is 18,000 BTU. It uses no electricity. Has a very accurate thermostat.
It shows a pretty blue flame. What a great heater. It hangs on the wall.
The propane company told us that this heater has been discontinued but perhaps you could get one like it.

The propane company told us that this heater has been discontinued

Yeah, I think these things are illegal in many places. Unvented fossil fuel burners in your home! No thanks. Tons of water, oxygen depletion, and always some level poisonous emissions. That type of poison accumulates in your bloodstream.

I would rather run a generator outside and power an electric space heater with an extension cord than subject my family to a ventless heater.

I have a little propane heater made by Vanguard. Got this heater installed 21 years ago when I built the house.
This is a great little heater. Not vented. It is 18,000 BTU. It uses no electricity. Has a very accurate thermostat.
It shows a pretty blue flame. What a great heater. It hangs on the wall.
The propane company told us that this heater has been discontinued but perhaps you could get one like it.
Yeah I would never recommend an invented heater for anyone. It is not invented btw. It is just house vented. And I can smell it any time I walk into a house that uses one.

Running your car or a BBQ in the garage is a great way to warm that garage except for the whole death thing.

Reactions: fbelec and bholler
I have had, and still have ,three of the exact model Rinnai heaters that you are referring to for quite some time . They are very dependable , low maintenance and fairly easy to install , but like BeGreen says , they require power to run . I also have a Lopi Berkshire stove that has a standing pilot and can be run without power . I am pleased with both products .

Reactions: Highbeam
I have two of those Rennai heaters you linked to. They are the "primary" heating in my house.

In reality, if I'm home the wood stove is going. I leave the heaters on low when I'm not home to keep the house around 50. They need electricity, but I have a dedicated propane generator on a automatic transfer switch to keep them going in an outage and keep the pipes from freezing.

The upside is that I have no duct work or baseboards in my house. It depends on what's important to you.