Lp water heater recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I knew it was just a matter of time. Today my 16 year old AO smith 50 gallon water heater started leaking.

When we built I went with the traditional vent for simplicity.

My current setup is 50 gallon for a 3 bath house, myself and three females some of the time as 1 is off in college.

What would you recommend for a LP water heater these days?

or

Would you switch to some type of electric?

I do not have my boiler hooked up to water heater yet because I will need some type of buffer tank since my storage is 140' from DHW.

gg

Perhaps Tankless? I have one in my house and have installed many in customer houses. It can save some money on LP.
If your going to have just two people soon then it can make more sense since you will be using less hot water.
They can be expensive and may have to upsize the gas line to the tank which adds expense, also venting can be an issue.
I went from spending about $30 per month on a 50 gallon electric tank to about $18 a month with a tankless on LP with 4 people. I have had good luck with Rinnai. But as always the cheapest is to simply replace with the same type

Status
Not open for further replies.