LT1000 New carburetor has no Throttle Linkage bushing? Anyone have that issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
This fall I have had a few big issues with my 17 Year Old LT1000 Tractor and it has been a struggle to keep it going. It served me well and and I like to keep it going instead of just paying $3300 for a new setup of Tractor Bagger and 42" Snow blower attachment.
1st problem was the backfiring caused by the worn timing gear
17 y/o LT1000 Tractor 17 HP Kohler Eng Kaput - Timing Problem | Hearth.com Forums Home
Then the belt was falling off the snow blower attachment due to bad bushings and bearing
Sears Craftsman 17 y/o LT1000 lawn tractor snow blower attachment belt keeps slipping off. The real fix! | Hearth.com Forums Home
Now the gas is was leaking from the carburetor float bowl and also where the solonoid attaches on the bottom.
This problem would have been easy except I got 3 carburetors
1st carburetor from a tractor supply about $60
Did not fit even though they said it was for a Kholer engine but only the pro tractors not a sears!
2nd carburetor from Ebay about $20
The right carburetor but just did not work! Same as the last carburetor that worked when I bought the same one a few years ago!
3rd Carburetor from SearsPartsDirect and $170 bucks
This carburetor worked but just like the last 2 carburetors, the throttle linkage bushing is missing!!
So this works, and it does not leak gas.
However there is no Throttle Linkage Bushing!!!
Now the carburetor from ebay I purchased a few years ago came with the bushing!
Unfortunately it fell off when changing the carbs and it is so tiny, I could not find it!!
Just disapointed that I had to be extra careful not to tighten the carb down too much so the throttle can move it but the throttle is sloppy now. I can get it in the right position and the tractor works.
Any ideas to make it right?
See last pic with brass colored hole with no bushing in it.
The bushing is part 15 in the Engine controls

LT1000TractorCarburatorExpldedView.jpg LT1000EngineControlsExplodedView.jpg LT1000CarburatorPartsList1.jpg LT1000EngineControlsPartsList1.jpg B1991398-D964-4D58-8D33-1177E11582F6.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd just take a quick measurement and head to Lowe's/HD and look through the hardware drawers and find something that works. Frustrating it wasn't included but even something like a rubber grommet would probably work.

Reactions: Don2222
The Command Single is a good engine. 17 years of service isn't a bad start! I suggest you keep going the route you are to keep it going.
Unfortunately, you found out the hard way about using Non-OEM carburetors, and how that sometimes goes. Original carb has a Kohler part # on it that you need to match. Looks like you got the right one from Sears, finally.

You don't have the bushing from the original, OEM Carb? Curious/interesting that it didn't come with it, but I suppose most people have it on the unit already. You really want that bushing in there for proper governor function. If I were you, I'd buy one online, they're $6-8 delivered, or go to a Kohler dealer and ask for it. At least today, it's the same bushing on just about every Kohler.

The Command Single is a good engine. 17 years of service isn't a bad start! I suggest you keep going the route you are to keep it going.
Unfortunately, you found out the hard way about using Non-OEM carburetors, and how that sometimes goes. Original carb has a Kohler part # on it that you need to match. Looks like you got the right one from Sears, finally.

You don't have the bushing from the original, OEM Carb? Curious/interesting that it didn't come with it, but I suppose most people have it on the unit already. You really want that bushing in there for proper governor function. If I were you, I'd buy one online, they're $6-8 delivered, or go to a Kohler dealer and ask for it. At least today, it's the same bushing on just about every Kohler.
The bushing from the carb on the tractor popped off when I was changing it and it is so tiny I could not find it. :-(
My last aftermarket carb I purchased came with the bushing installed on the carb, but neither the New aftermarket or new OEM carbs come with that bushing. :-(

Nate - You are the man!
Since those bushings are the same for all Kohler carbs and common as a common pins,
I just called up my local Turf Depot and gave them the Kohler Engine Spec # 27508 of the left side engine tag and told them I needed the Throttle Linkage Bushing and they had 8 so I bought 2 for approximately $7 bucks each!
Part # 25-158-11-S
Thanks for all your help!

584ABFF0-3B47-4B6B-8BA9-D90A993C4258.jpeg 951F4B00-C8F2-4FD5-B9C2-84C2DA170D16.jpeg 7898A7E3-77C6-44F6-869D-7556F1719A24.jpeg ACE934A4-595F-42EB-B121-DF3496CBCB7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Don, I hate to tell you, but that's not the right part based on what you described.

You said you needed part #15 in the diagram, which is 25-158-08-S. What you got is 25-158-11, which goes on the OTHER (non carb) end of the throttle linkage to attach it to the governor arm What you got is part #17 in the diagram you posted.

1611610114031.jpeg

That white bushing is what you need on the carburetor side, Unfortunately, they used the same term in the parts diagram for both #15 and #17.....That's a bit confusing, and BOTH bushings are common on Kohlers..... Ugh. Wish they had used a different term between them to differentiate.

No wonder I could not get it in! LOL
Thanks again Nate the one you picture looks just like the old one! What a coincidence! LOL
Looks like I will have to see if I can get that tomorrow! Thanks again !!!
They should say carb end bushing or Governor end bushing!!
Photo below shows it
The bent end would not go thru the wrong bushing like it should and I was doing a little cussing!!!

EEC1215C-D8A9-4185-8025-57070158B6ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got the correct white bushing
Kholer Part #
25 158 08-s

Attachments

• 25BDB24F-9D38-4623-9ECD-51B0A8D7E2A1.jpeg
    25BDB24F-9D38-4623-9ECD-51B0A8D7E2A1.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 6589D5D6-04B7-4B89-8193-ADDB0EBC9DB4.jpeg
    6589D5D6-04B7-4B89-8193-ADDB0EBC9DB4.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: Nate R
Finally got the correct white bushing
Kholer Part #
25 158 08-s
Great! Hope you get a bunch more quality service from that unit now!

Thanks
Got get it ready for this!

Popped the new bushing in and the throttle is nice and smooth and even no sloppiness!! Also learned how to pinch the gas line for minimum gas line spillage and put a little plastic catch tub so no gas on the garage floor.
:)

B55895E6-8CFD-4B4B-873B-B1C242BA9F9C.jpeg 6D909BAE-7400-4CA0-8C4D-EE00A45484D5.jpeg E6757ACA-B8F0-437F-9477-A35CA759C792.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate R
Popped the new bushing in and the throttle is nice and even no sloppiness!! Also learned how to pinch the gas line for minimum gas line spillage and put a little plastic catch tub so no gas on the garage floor.
:)
Nice! Glad you got that worked out before your snow hits!

Got 6-7" here on Tuesday, supposed to get another 6-8" tonight in Milwaukee.

One last secondary fault! I used the blower without the throttle linkage bushing but in order to do that, the serrated flange nuts that hold the carburetor and the black plastic air filter housing to the engine had to be very loose. If these 2 nuts were tightened down, then the throttle linkage on the carburetor would freeze up because it would press against the engine! Then after I used the snowblower on the last storm one of the nuts fell off! I had to buy a new M6 serrated flange nut and with the new throttle linkage bushing in place, tighten both nuts down properly,
Throttle now works like it should!
See pics of M6 serrated flange nuts. :)

1A9EFA14-83A6-4EFA-80D5-E7F0B729040B.jpeg 4425C43E-AA85-4490-936F-7F9A43790BB7.jpeg

Ready for the snow now!

0B6306AC-3EB9-40DA-BE0B-5948818E274D.jpeg

Just in time! How does that setup work w/o chains and weights? I wanted to try something similar but talked my self out of it.

Just in time! How does that setup work w/o chains and weights? I wanted to try something similar but talked my self out of it.
It has a plastic can on the back filled with 75 lbs of sand. It works fine like this, however chains and wheel weights can be added. I think wheel weights maybe good but chains may not be so good for the driveway.
The 17 hp makes it so much better than a push snow blower and being twice as wide does the job in half the time and the beer holder is handy too! :)

Reactions: jatoxico