Lucky break

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ClintonH

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2014
NW OH
SO, I'd conceded that I needed a new engine for my splitter about 2 years ago. It's a homemade unit I bought from a coworker, $250, overbuilt like a tank, life is good. I finished splitting a tree 2 years ago when puff--white smoke. Lots of white smoke. Assuming this was oil getting hot to smoke point, I figured it was a head gasket. It's a knock-off engine, I figured I could find one and swap it, so I parked the splitter and bummed my Dad's splitter for the time being (yes, 2 years, I know--we're 10 min apart). Fast forward to today. I'm finally cleaning out some space in the barn and I'm sick and tired of living around this broken-down splitter. So I try to start it: nothing. Fresh gas, fires up first pull--no smoke to be seen. I let it idle a few minutes and all looks good. I move the ram a bit: BINGO. Split return hose + spraying directly on the hot muffler = white smoke. 10 minutes total labor and a $15 hose from TSC, and I'm back in business. I'm a bit embarrassed but glad that I can return Dad's splitter to him--hopefully for good! I'll still trade him some of my sweat and time to go cut in his woods, however!

Excellent! Every once in a while one has to bounce your way. :cool:

Funny how sometimes stepping away from a challenge or mystery for a while can help you solve it.

nice when it's something simple, and cheap

Glad you found the issue. I have to admit I was scratching my head...engine oil doesn't smoke "white".
Good point...blow-by would be blue, etc. Hey, I'll take the win!

Reactions: Jags