Lumber Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Its all building materials and commodities. Recent price hikes have added an average of $24000 to the price of a new home.
I've seen that # thrown around a lot lately, but is it compared to pre-pandemic prices or to last March when the lumber prices crashed?

When the "add 16k" was being thrown around and "a lumber package that used to cost 18k now costs 42k" last summer they were comparing to the "crashed" prices (which was a bit deceptive IMHO).

And yes, it took months last year to find a couple of GFCI breakers.

I've seen that # thrown around a lot lately, but is it compared to pre-pandemic prices or to last March when the lumber prices crashed?
Im sure higher labor rates and fuel cost are also a factor , not just materials. I have to pay twice for labor now what i did just a few yrs ago but the prices i can charge have hardly gone up much at all in my particular business.

At menards, shelves of pvc outlet boxs were half empty and had a sign - pvc shortage, no additional stock. Didn't go through the lumber area - putting any projects requiring that off for now. It's hard enough managing a job site, must be a real treat at the moment trying to get anything done.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210417-203453~2.png
    Screenshot_20210417-203453~2.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20210417-202816~3.png
    Screenshot_20210417-202816~3.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: vinny11950
We've got a fence around the tennis courts at work that blew down in a windstorm last month that is still down because the fencing company can't get the steel to repair it.

I had a hard time finding 2 lengths of 3/4 PVC conduit a couple weeks ago to finish an outdoor project.

I was also curious and looked up what I paid last year for some lumber vs current pricing. Some aren't crazy some went to the moon.

2021 is the first number, 2020 the second.

4x4x10 $21 vs 15

2x4x8 $10 vs $6

5/4x6x8 $7 vs 5.50

4x4x16 $35 vs 23

6x6x12 $70 vs 43

2x6x12 $16 vs 12

3 step stringer $15 vs 8

I frame 2000-4000 sf houses in Kansas City. The demand is mindblowing. I have no idea where all the people are coming from to buy houses. Or afford them. The builder I work for stopped taking new build contracts. Is going to specs (no contract) now because he doesnt want to get locked in on a price with lumber costs increasing weekly plus dealing with shortages. Our lumber company is a national company and they are running out of material-- siding, smart trim, LVLs, 2x6s, you name it. Its starting to hold up jobs. Theft is also becoming a huge problem. Another framing crew put 50 sheets of OSB up on the ceiling joists to deter any would be thieves only to come back the next day and it was gone. Thats crazy stuff.
What's a 3000 sqft house cost Missouri that your building?

Back when my Honey and I were first married, we got a great deal on 4'x8' OSB @ $4.95 each. We bought 100
and slowly used them up on different projects over the years. Today they're between $30 and $40 dollars each!

Reactions: brenndatomu
I have to take a trip to the lumber store for major purchases this week and I dread it...Prices are sky high...clancey

I was surprised to see 2x10 x 16' treated SYP #2 prime is only $35...dunno what they were before, but that seems like a better value that 2x4's and plywood/OSB right now...that's less than $0.50/lb! ;lol

Reactions: vinny11950
Around $500,000 depending on neighborhood, school district, lot size, etc.
The designer who did our cabin drawings told me that if you can't afford $200sqft (having a GC) they don't want to do the drawings.

Acting as my own GC, I'm becoming even more disillusioned with the construction industry, which is another reason I'm no longer in it. I understand that I play second fiddle to "real" GC's for the subs because they'll get more work from them in the future; but the GC's WANT your costs to go up so they get the additional markup. There is zero motivation to shop for materials.

Reactions: SpaceBus and EbS-P
Back when my Honey and I were first married, we got a great deal on 4'x8' OSB @ $4.95 each. We bought 100
and slowly used them up on different projects over the years. Today they're between $30 and $40 dollars each!
Boy that turned out to be a good decision, eh?!

Reactions: SpaceBus
2017 when we built I thanked the powers that I found osb for 12$ a sheet when most suppliers were wanting 21$ cad. It was a big savings on 360 sheets. IIRC the cause of the jump that year was Okanagan fires and a couple other plants off line.

I work at small hardware store that also does bikes and chainsaw dealership. Lots of things have gone up, as one example he bought some garden hoses that were almost the same price wholesale he was selling them for previously. That's probably the most dramatic increase I've seen.

Lot's of trouble getting some common items like staplers, shovels etc. . The power equipment is coming in dribs and drabs, bikes are very difficult to obtain. He has dealership for major bike manufacturer and one very high end bike in their line will not be available until 2023.... that's no BS. The biggest issue with the bikes is Shimano provides the majority of components. Between the increased demand and covid they simply can't meet the demand.

Things will settle but it will be a while. I had planned to do some major renovations on my house, I'm holding off for now.

Throw in the fact that a lot of equipment, parts, supplies, materials, etc are in thousands of shipping containers sitting in our ports with no way to get to their destination due to the shortage of OTR truckers.

Life got in the way of my shed build last summer. Economics looks like it'll get in the way this summer, leading to another winter of tarping. I'll be one small example of people backing off because of increased costs.

Hopefully the supply will go up and demand settle down. The government has pumped almost 4 trillion dollars into the economy in 12 months. To put it in perspective, the NY Times wrote that 20 years in Afghanistan cost 1 trillion. I think lumber costs will go back down, but not near to the pre pandemic levels.

Throw in the fact that a lot of equipment, parts, supplies, materials, etc are in thousands of shipping containers sitting in our ports with no way to get to their destination due to the shortage of OTR truckers.

It's not just the shipping. A lot of demand has been created for these products. People havemore time to do those home projects they have been putting off or riding a bike. How many people that purchased wood for heat decided to go out and buy a chainsaw just for something to do?

At this point it’s probably going to be like the TP shortage. People know there’s a shortage so they buy it up when they see it. Either to hoard for future projects, or to offload on Craigslist for even more than they paid.

offload on Craigslist for even more than they paid
There's some of that going on for sure...I've noticed everybody and their brother posting their leftover cutoffs for as much or more than a full sheet sold for not very long ago!

I've been thinking very strongly about getting some sort of planer/moulder so I can make high value items from my rough lumber, but I don't even have a place to put a planer.

Attachments

• 71BB0337-6EA8-4F51-9A46-5A8B89414DA1.jpeg
    71BB0337-6EA8-4F51-9A46-5A8B89414DA1.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 106
I've been thinking very strongly about getting some sort of planer/moulder so I can make high value items from my rough lumber, but I don't even have a place to put a planer.
In several occasions I have almost purchased the mounding head and knives for my shopsmith. Just never found a need. Custom picture frames Maybe.

I've been cranking out fence posts for an upcoming project and I figure I'm amassing a small fortune in 4x4's!