M55 cast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slick

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2010
Nova Scotia
i have an Enviro m55 cast and I woke up to a flashing number 2. My combustion fan has been making a scratchy noise lately, is this the sign that I need to replace my fan?? Please help.

I believe a flashing #2 means a loss of vacuum. From the troubleshooting guide, check the following:

1) make sure the firebox door is latched tight and sealed (in other words, check the gasket and make sure the door is sealed tight)
2) make sure the ash pan is closed and sealed (same as above)
3) make sure the unit is venting and clear of fly ash (Maybe the stove just needs a good cleaning)

John

Reactions: vinny11950 and bags
When is the last time the stove had a full cleaning, to include the vent system ?

Reactions: bags
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. #3 on the list above. I would bet your vent system needs a good cleaning. Search "leaf blower method" in this forum. It will do the job if you can do it.

As mentioned above. How old is your M55?

There have been many issues this season with various stoves being problematic due to jammed up exhausts / venting. The Enviro M55s are good stoves and seem to not have issues with dependability. The scratchy sound could be caused by the exhaust/combustion fan could have some grime or build up it is scratching thru or making contact with.

In the time I have been here most problems are resolved from an in depth thorough cleaning. Currently my P68 is way over due for such a clean and I can tell it is not running at optimum levels. My flame is just not as crisp as it normally runs. My firebox is jammed with ash and filled up so this is causing somewhat of a more lazy flame. Not real bad but definitely noted it's not what it should be. My venting is also due for a clean.

Reactions: alternativeheat
My stove is probably close to 8 years old. I came home from work today and tried to fire the stove up again and when I did I could see the combustion fan try to start and it made all kinds of scratching noise and the stove flashed a 2 warning again. I'm quite sure the fan is cooked, I think it's more then a cleaning issue. I did take it apart and cleaned the blades but still nothing happened

The combustion fan my be done
It is the unit that gives you the vacuum to run the stove

Could be the bearings on the combustion blower... Unplug your stove, disconnect the combustion fan from the stove wiring and try running it with direct current. You can set up a test wire from an old cord with the appropriate spade connectors on the ends.

Keep us posted.

Is there any way to lube that motor or bearings just to get you gimped thru the remainder of this season? I almost bought this stove but have no experience with them.

Flashing 2 is vacuum, directly associated with a going combustion blower. Combustion blower going is directly affected by keeping the stove's exhaust path clean. If the blower is 8 years old, that tells me that someone has been pretty good at cleaning the exhaust path, as 8 years is quite good for that blower. I do believe its time for a new one. When you take it out to change, clean the exhaust temp sensor (the proof of fire switch) just forward of the exh blower too. Good luck with her. No one mentioned it, but guess the air damper is set correctly?? Something always to look at as well.

Flashing #2 means loss of vacuum.
Exhaust blower provides vacuum.
Could be...
Gasket seals on the glass door or ash pan.
Blocked exhaust path. Check your vents and internal passages including the damper.
Bad Vacuum switch. Also check the vac hose and nipple.

If all that is OK then pull the exhaust blower and examine.
It is lifetime lubricated.
Clean it. I use compressed air and CRC electronic cleaner on the motor. Carburetor cleaner and a scraper/brush on the blades.
While motor is out clean the plenum/housing it sits in (scrape/vacuum). Carbon can build up around the blade area.
Feel the blower operation (spin it). When turning the blades is it smooth? Does it feel gritty? If gritty get a new one.

Cheapest google search shows it at http://www.stoveworld.com/Enviro-combustion-blower-50-2068-p/2rpenv014.htm
$249.99
Probably find one on Ebay cheaper.
There may be aftermarket units available as well.
---Nailer---

If it is the blower motor as mentioned by Nailed & Stovelark (do what they suggest because they are on it) and you have to source a new one I know many folks have shopped at Grainger. I am not sure you will find a Grainger in Nova Scotia or what shipping one there might entail but many have been able to cross-reference the motor numbers and actually find the motors much cheaper.

For example distribution fans on Harmans are Dayton and many have gotten the exact blowers for much less. I believe the same holds true for Avery motors here in the USA. Good Luck. Hopefully you get it all worked out and / or figured out.