Mag Gage Placement 18" or 10" ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rollieman

Aug 27, 2017
Hamilton, Ma.
Apparently I'm supposed to put the magnetic gage 18" above the top of the stove; however, I'm using telescoping 6" stove pipe coming out the top of my Englander model 17 and @ 18" the gage will have a double wall of piping -------------- if I move it down to about 10" above the top of the stove the gage will be on a single wall.

Wouldn't it be more accurate at 10" (single wall), or should I maintain the 18" specification ?

Thank you !

Yes, it probably would be more accurate down lower on the single layer of pipe, though it will be influenced somewhat by the stove top temp. Surface flue temps on single wall are relative so just plan on it reading a bit higher. You can also try it for awhile on the stove top as you learn the stove. Just go by the temps on the gauge and not colored ranges.