Mahindra or Kubota????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats coming to an end too. Our all encompassing government is about to change the rules of engagement to, if you purchase a glider and repower, the repower must neet Tier 4 final manfates or you can't title it, which equates to, you had better keep the engine in the original frame rails and put a new house on it, thats about it.

I know of 2 outfits that are buying older, clapped out trucks with Cat NZ 3406's and pulling the engines and trannies and junking the cabs and another buying old rusted out 7.3 Ford diesels and pulling them. It may not impact the pickup truck market but it will the 6-7&8 market.

Well a friend and I drove half way across the state to pick up an MX5100 that my son purchased. The dealer wanted $450 to deliver it, my wife the farm manager and boss talked him down to $350 but our good friend said nah he'd haul it, he spent about $80 in diesel and we paid him $200 total to haul it, he was fine with that. I think he wanted to haul it anyway, it was too darn cold that day to anything else anyway. Anyway we've already picked up another hay spear and a 60" bucket grapple for it.

27xlcm1.jpg

Is that an Interm Tier 4 of a Final Tier 4, IOW, does it have an egr/dpf or nothing? Of course nothing is better.

Is that an Interm Tier 4 of a Final Tier 4, IOW, does it have an egr/dpf or nothing? Of course nothing is better.

It has an EGR only, interim Tier 4. Took me about 2-3 days to run one down for him that wasn't 500 miles away.

At least it's only EGR. Problem is the carbon will wind up in the intake runner and around the intake valve stems, sometimes that causes issues. Seen that happen on Detroit 60's with EGR. Certainly better that cannister DPF and EGR. The cannister has a definite lifespan and when it's time, it's not cheap.

Is there anything kind of additive that can be put in the diesel fuel that will help cut down on the build up or once the warranty is out can it be bypassed?

Not that I know of. The EGR is mechanical and electronic so it cannot be removed without serious modifications, at least on 6,7&8 diesels and I would presume yours too.

Getting to be hay time.......

Not that I know of. The EGR is mechanical and electronic so it cannot be removed without serious modifications, at least on 6,7&8 diesels and I would presume yours too.

Take solace in the fact that it's pre DEF. Thats a whole other can of worms.

So is blocking the port on the EGR from the exhaust like was done on a lot of ol' fords out of the question?

Remember the nickel trick :)

So is blocking the port on the EGR from the exhaust like was done on a lot of ol' fords out of the question?

Remember the nickel trick :)

That won't work because back then it was purely mechanical with no on board monitoring, now days, monitoring is electronic so any detrimental changes to the egr flow will cause the engine to derate and throw an error code. There are a couple sensors in the intake runner that monitor intake termperature, pressure and oxygen level, all tied into the main ecm.

I did the nickle trick on a couple Ford's I had. Worked well, less 'runnung on'.

Every system has it's drawbacks, with DEF behind EGR/DPF being the most complex and the most failure prone. It's not really the mechanics of the system (other than the DEF injection nozzle becoming plugged with salts in solution), but the lowest bidder electronics failing. 95% at least of the failures I see are all electronics related, not mechanical.

You can make them run real clean but the efficiency goes out the window and so does the long term reliability. If I was to buy a new tractor today, I'd buy a gasoline engined tractor.

JMO..... Looked at Case, JD, New Holland, Mahindra, Massey and Kubota. Purchased a Kubota M7060 w/Cab. Case, New Holland & JD were over priced. Didn't like the ergonomics & appearance of the Massey. Ruled out Mahindra (even though it had a great price) due to unacceptable resonance in cab when operated at 1500+ rpm with AC on. Like being in a 55 gal drum with a cement vibrator tied to it. Ask the dealer if they all had that issue.... he said yes. I thanked him for his time, left the lot and bought a Kubota which I felt was the best bang for the buck with reasonable cab sound level & comfort.

Reactions: Grateful11
I think in the long run, the Kub was a good choice. I just "freshened up" my 30+ year old F-2000 front cut mower, 2-3 days for parts on a 30 year old machine says something. Enjoy your 7060, that's a nice tractor, I would have gotten one but the dealer made me a heck of a deal on my M9540 that I could not refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.