Mahindra or Kubota????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a dealer I felt I could trust, and was local, was the most important part (along with price) of the tractor buying decision I made 3 years ago. I went with LS, an R4047, same as a Boomer 50 except for the loader. I've only got about 200 or so hours on it but it has been reliable.

Pro's: Reliable, simple, strong loader, fuel efficient, does what I need it to.
Con's: Narrow-set rear wheels, weak 3 pt hitch lower arms.

Hoe2_zps7dc7cf1e.png

20140428_114217_resized_zps703d5d6e.jpg

20140604_153235_resized_zps30971e6a.jpg

Everyone here has decided they don't want to get rid of the Kubota L3940 so it looks like they are going to tack on another tractor. I've been searching high and low for several days for Kubota MX4700 and MX5100's. There's not many left east of the Mississippi but I have located about 12 at various places. The 4700 and 5100 are only interim Tier 4 with an EGR and no DPF. The newer MX4800, MX5200 and MX5800 have Common Rail injection and a DPF not sure if it also has an EGR or not but some have said it does.

Do the new ones have def? I talked to a volvo equipment rep yesterday and he says equipment under 75hp is not required to have def. I wasnt sure if tractors are the same way

I was told by one of the largest Kubota dealers in NC last week that DEF is coming to the 80hp and up 4th qtr. of this year and the rest like the new Grand L60 series within 2 years. He didn't say where the cutoff point would be as far as HP. He said it will add 15-20% to the cost of the tractors. He said the Tier 4 emissions were starting to affect their sales. The DPF added about $3K to all of them and now DEF is coming.

Thats just crazy. More cost and more of a pain in the a$$.

Having a dealer I felt I could trust, and was local, was the most important part (along with price) of the tractor buying decision I made 3 years ago. I went with LS, an R4047, same as a Boomer 50 except for the loader. I've only got about 200 or so hours on it but it has been reliable.

Pro's: Reliable, simple, strong loader, fuel efficient, does what I need it to.
Con's: Narrow-set rear wheels, weak 3 pt hitch lower arms.

20140428_114217_resized_zps703d5d6e.jpg

Bocephous we went to a CaseIH dealer today and noticed they had a CaseIH 50C, marked right on the rear of the tractor made by LS in Korea. The tractor didn't look anything like yours. Yours appears much beefier and the your loader puts the one on the 50C to shame. The loader it had looked like something that should be on a 25-30hp tractor. There's so few LS dealers around here. You have a very nice looking rig there.

Yeah, and more parts & systems to go bad. So much for the simplicty of a compression ignition (diesel) engine's simplicity & dependability! With all of these wonderful regulations that none of us or our elected representitive's had a chance to vote on!

Reactions: duramaxman05

He said between the Emissions and the new NC Farm Tax revision, that has been put in place since our new Gov. took office, it may put some independent dealers out of business. Sales tax on tractors don't top out like they do on road vehicles. If you don't have a Farm Tax ID you pay 7-8% on top of $40-60K and you're talking some serious money, enough that he's already had a couple customers that trade every year or so to back out.

Last edited:
If you do have a Farm Tax ID you pay 7-8% on top of $40-60K

They're penalizing farmers?
I used to be able to get out of state sales tax for farm use. Not so sure as I'm not farming now.

No wander why the used equipment market went through the roof. But i guess thats the same as used vehicles.

Bocephous we went to a CaseIH dealer today and noticed they had a CaseIH 50C, marked right on the rear of the tractor made by LS in Korea. The tractor didn't look anything like yours. Yours appears much beefier and the your loader puts the one on the 50C to shame. The loader it had looked like something that should be on a 25-30hp tractor. There's so few LS dealers around here. You have a very nice looking rig there.

Thank you for the kind words. Kind of surprising there aren't more LS dealers in N.C.; that is one of their U.S. headquarters locations.

They're penalizing farmers?
I used to be able to get out of state sales tax for farm use. Not so sure as I'm not farming now.

That should have said If you don't have a Farm Tax ID. The new revision is something like you have show $10K in income per year to qualify for a Farm Tax ID.

I'd figure with a post like this we would see more pics.... Show us what you got.....

2012-11-03_13-43-48_706.jpg
A pic of my father-in-laws David Brown 50hp tractor lifting some oak rounds. An oldie but a goodie, its been working hard for 30+ years on his farm. He has been talking about purchasing a newer 50-60 hp 4×4 tractor to replace the Brown but the PA dutch in him just won't let him do it.

We are on our 2nd Mahindra and have been happy with them. Our dealer is a little of a drive but the closest tractor dealer of any kind is an hour away. I would buy it again.

This was earlier this winter. Snow's too deep now.

Attachments

• DSCN4096.JPG
    DSCN4096.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 857
Buy the dealer, not the tractor.

+10

I'd buy a Kubby simply because they have a US manufacturing prescence plus I have 2 dealers close by. I'm not at all fond of a tractor builr in India in the first place....or China.

Cabela's tractors are also made by TYM. The major difference is the paint (obviously) and the tires (Cabela's uses Titan R4 tires; TYM outfits their OEM machines with BKT tires in a rather unusual size). Also, Cabela's uses Woods loaders while TYM uses their own brand.

I would have seriously considered buying a tractor from Cabela's if there were one nearby.

Service would be non-existent. The clowns at Cabelas can't even mount a scope correctly do you really think they could actually perform service on a tractor.... I think not.

I'm one mile from a store and I'd never give Cabelas a thought for anything with an internal combustion engine, generator, outboard motor. quad or tractor.

Don't look out your back window but there tractor and auto dealers that are on par with your estimation of Cabela's abilities. Not defending them or any others out there. Oh, I have a Case 1230.

I realize that. I farm with ag sized Kubota's I don't have play tractors or a glorified lawn mower dealer either.

I would think (maybe wrongly) that Cabelas subs the service work to at least a marginally competent shop. I wouldn't let the high school kids at Cabelas check the air pressure in my tires...............

I pass by the 'Cabelas' branded units when we go to the store (my wife likes the fudge...). They look kind of corny in my view with 'Cabelas' on the hood and done up in, of all things, camo.

Glorified lawn mowers for the suburban 'one up on my neighbor' crowd.

When I bought my new NH round bailer this last summer, I was looking at the NH tractors at the dealership and all had blue DEF caps. The drummer wnated me to demo one, I passed. When I throttle a diesel tractor, I want to see some smoke, not smell stinky water vapor....lol

BTW, if it has DEF, it also has EGR and a DPF cannister and when that cannister becomes full of regenerated soot, it has to be changed out with a reman cannister and they ain't cheap.

Thank the tree huggers, they appreciate it along with Al Gore.

Far as I can tell, the ONLY thing DEF is good for is spraying on hay for fertilizer..... Works on garden tomatoes too.

Grateful.... When it warms up a bit and I'm back running hay, I'll see you on the HT forum.....

Reactions: 711mhw
It's Urea (basically) right?
I'm keepin my old (pre emissions) oil burners thank you. They've managed to do to diesels what they did to gas engines in vehicles in the late 70's early 80's.

It's Urea (basically) right?
I'm keepin my old (pre emissions) oil burners thank you. They've managed to do to diesels what they did to gas engines in vehicles in the late 70's early 80's.

Sure is. 32% urea in dionized water. Nothing else. I use a large 3 point wet boom sprayer (300 gallon) so I toss in a couple 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF, top off with water and evening spray hayfields. Cat piss in a jug....lol

The problem with urea is, it freezes solid at 30 degrees (f) in 32& concentration so in a diesel engine thats operating in freezing temperatures, it must be purged from the injection lines leading to the catalytic vessel or it will expand and rupture the lines and it has to be artificially heated (via engine coolant) in freezing weather to flow at all. There are other issues as well. one of the most troublesome is the fact that 32% urea has a heavy concentration of dissolved solids so the injector nozzle clogs with solids, the engine derates and the system must be taken apart and cleaned.

Thats just part of it. Go to the other end and you have DPF and EGR. The EGR puts unburned oil vapor and exhaust gasses back into the engine, all well and good except the unburned exhaust gases are reintroduced into the intake rummer at high temperatures and it cokes the intake runner and intake valves with crystaline carbon and that eventually destroys the valve stems and the intake valves, plus the intake runner and then there is the DPF cannister which has to be changed out (maintenance item) because it becomes full of soot (the smoke you used to see is now in the cannister) and it had to be cleaned in a special machine and the contents (burned soot) is considered hazardous waste and has to be landfilled at a secure waste facility. Of course the reman cannister ain't cheap.

Finally, the engines run abnormally hot because of the catalytic action of the emissions hardware, get lousy fuel mileage because the fuel has to be injected not only into the engine for power, but into the DPF to burn off the soot.

All in all, coupled with lowest bidder electronic controls for the whole shbang, it's a disaster, no matter what your dealer tells you. They want to see you a tractor. I'm giving the straight story because I work at a heavy truck dealership and I see all the carnage and truck or tractor or combine or pickup truck, if it's tier 4 final, they all share the same technology and the same issues.

IOW, keep your pre tier 4 engines.

Yeah, I've noticed that "glider" trucks are becoming real popular!

Reactions: duramaxman05
Status
Not open for further replies.