Maine Choice Pellet's ,any input?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say about average overall. $229 isn't a bad price for them. Decent heat and about .6% ash which is pretty good. They didn't through monster heat like some of the big guns but do-able.

hossthehermit burned a few tons last season in his multifuel revolution and had good results. Your Omega will eat them just fine. You could use them in the shoulders if you are worried about the heat. Burn some of the Energex Canadains when you need the extra heat. I would split the order and you should be fine if you are looking to pinch a penny or two!

I've burned them. Not a bad pellet. Slightly above average Maine pellet. Average heat. Fairly clean. Good shoulder season pellets.

Buck Hunter I burnt Maine Choice all last season, and am going through my last few bags at the start of this season. I thought they burned OK in my Quad Castile. My price last year was $249 American picked up by me. I just checked another local dealer and he wants $249 for Maine Choice without delivery. This year I was able to get a good price on "OKIES" delivered so I chose them, but if I could get a good deal on Maine Choice I would pick up some more.

As mentioned by Jay & others above, the Maine Choice Pellet is just a middle of the road pellet, probably best used in the shoulder seasons.

If I were you, try locating some of the Okanagans (Okies) that SmallTown mentioned above....they are very good, hot, clean burning pellets, and their prices this year have been very reasonable for a very good pellet.

I don't know why these guys keep saying shoulder season, I heated my poorly insulated house and garage on 6 tons of them between my 2 stoves last winter. If you can get a good deal on them go for it.

"All wood, regardless of species, has about the same energy content per pound." woodheat.org Local REAL WORLD TESTING has determined a variation to this statement ! :roll:

BLIMP said:
"All wood, regardless of species, has about the same energy content per pound." woodheat.org Local REAL WORLD TESTING has determined a variation to this statement ! :roll:

You just have to poke the fire! don't ya?

About the same isn't the SAME its only about the same, There is a difference! Value would increase with compression-density and its a multipler! Set your feed rate to the max and dump in a less dense pellet. Check the temp out the stove. Throw in the more dense and check the temp. I will guarantee the more dense will be hotter! Since you are on the max settings the less dense will not match the more dense cause you can't go any higher with the feed rate!. If you play in the middle of the road? Jack up you feed to match the more dense. Tough for peeps with undersized stoves!

Lets see some of pooks testing data! We wanna see! If you dare?

I bought two tons of Maine's Choice from woodpellets.com in May/June. I will probably start burning in a month. Still have two tons of LGs from last year and a ton of CleanFires from the year before. I'll post up my results when I get'em!! Suppose to be a cold dry winter in New England this year. We'll see!

j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:

You just have to poke the fire! don't ya?

About the same isn't the SAME its only about the same, There is a difference! Value would increase with compression-density and its a multipler! Set your feed rate to the max and dump in a less dense pellet. Check the temp out the stove. Throw in the more dense and check the temp. I will guarantee the more dense will be hotter! Since you are on the max settings the less dense will not match the more dense cause you can't go any higher with the feed rate!. If you play in the middle of the road? Jack up you feed to match the more dense. Tough for peeps with undersized stoves!

Lets see some of pooks testing data! We wanna see! If you dare?
i will use both cheeks when testing!

BJN644 said:
I don't know why these guys keep saying shoulder season, I heated my poorly insulated house and garage on 6 tons of them between my 2 stoves last winter. If you can get a good deal on them go for it.

"these guys" say that because if you heated that same "poorly insulated" house with a better/hotter burning pellet, and get a decent price on them, you MAY save $$ by burning less pellets.

IMO, you should fix the insulation problem before having to burn 6 tons of pellets.....in the long run you will save quite a bit of $.

imacman said:
BJN644 said:

"these guys" say that because if you heated that same "poorly insulated" house with a better/hotter burning pellet, and get a decent price on them, you MAY save $$ by burning less pellets.

IMO, you should fix the insulation problem before having to burn 6 tons of pellets.....in the long run you will save quite a bit of $.

Only 4 tons in the house, 2 in the garage. I don't burn anymore than anyone else with my"shoulder pellets", usually a bag a day, 2 when it's really cold.

BJN644 said:
imacman said:
BJN644 said:

Only 4 tons in the house, 2 in the garage. I don't burn anymore than anyone else with my"shoulder pellets", usually a bag a day, 2 when it's really cold.

Well, ya know how it is. If ya don't do it like "these guys" do in "other places", then yer doin' it wrong. If it's made in Maine, it's , well, you know..............

hossthehermit said:
BJN644 said:
imacman said:
BJN644 said:

Well, ya know how it is. If ya don't do it like "these guys" do in "other places", then yer doin' it wrong. If it's made in Maine, it's , well, you know..............

Yup, I do brotha

BJN644 said:
hossthehermit said:
BJN644 said:
imacman said:
BJN644 said:

Yup, I do brotha

Sorry guys, The original poster asked if they were hot and clean. I can not tell a lie. I had to shot straight and pull no punches. I am pulling for the MWP product this season(if I can ever get them!). Least you guys got 3 mills to route for. Here in CT I got nada! I really am pulling for a New England brand to be tops some day.

If the numbers for the newest MWP batch are correct, They could be the deal of the season. Super Premium quality at a low Premiem price. I will buy as much as I can. :)

Deleted! Got the 2 Maine Pellets mixed up!

Ok, I've burned about 10 bags (Maine's Choice) in the last two weeks and I gotta tell ya; their not that bad. Almost NO clinkers in the burn pot. Ash was moderate, not the best, not the worst. House got up to about 73 degrees pretty quick, temps inland S. Maine were at 28 degrees at 6 AM today. I had to leave my bedroom window (upstairs) open last night, a little too warm. Of course that won't be the case come mid December/January.

Got the sled all tuned up and ready to go..Bring it on ole man winter!!!

I like the pellet. Reasonably hot and low maintenance. I use Spruce Pointe in the dead of winter but find MC very good to blend and at a right price in
our area. $220/ton.

Where do you get Spruce Pointe pellets.

BJN644 said:

well, Maine doesn't really have a shoulder season, just mosquito/black fly season, and wintah. Some of the northern areas just get wintah.

Delta-T said:
BJN644 said:

well, Maine doesn't really have a shoulder season, just mosquito/black fly season, and wintah. Some of the northern areas just get wintah.

Maine has exactly two seasons, Fourth of July and Winter.

You remove the old banking from around your house the evening of July 3 and put new banking around your house after the fireworks on July 4.

I have used 15-20 bags so far this year, and they have done good for me. The length isn't as consistent as last year, but i just break any long ones i see in half. No problems yet.

I have burned about 10 bags from my 5 ton stash. I have to say I am happy with them after burning LGs last year. I have really had nothing to scrape in the burnpot. I thought about using dynamite on the crap the LGs left behind last year. They do seem to have a little more ash though.

BJN644 said:
hossthehermit said:
BJN644 said:
imacman said:
BJN644 said:

Yup, I do brotha

Nice job, you guys got the Maineiacs all riled up...looks like they have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to ME Pellets :)

I burned about 2.5 tons of MC's last year, not bad for the price last year, but all things being equal there are better "choices" this year.

Man, I'm punny!

Status
Not open for further replies.