Maintaining cast material on Hearthstone stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jliz129

Oct 19, 2022
Leverett MA
To maintain the cast framework of our Hearthstone stove the dealer recommended painting it. What kind of paint? Otherwise, should we apply stove polish?

Paint yes. Try Stove Brite paint. Stove polish no. It will be very hard to paint in the future once stove polish is used.
Is this a black-painted stove? If so, Stove Brite satin black paint is a good choice.

Paint yes. Try Stove Brite paint. Stove polish no. It will be very hard to paint in the future once stove polish is used.
Is this a black-painted stove? If so, Stove Brite satin black paint is a good choice.
It is black cast material - I've not applied anything to it since we installed it 10 years ago. It gets a bit of surface rust over the summer which I can remove with steel wool, but I would like to protect the metal more. I will look for the paint you suggest - need to do it quickly as winter is coming soon!