Majestic mrc42 fireplace?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I recently bought a home with a Majestic mrc42 fireplace and a triple wall chimney in it. The previous owners converted it to gas and didn’t use it very often. If I remove the gas line and ceramic logs can I burn wood? Everything I’ve read say yes. My second question is. If I wanted to be able to burn all day other than changing inserts what would need to be done so I could safely do this. The fireplace hearth was built for a zero clearance insert.

I recently bought a home with a Majestic mrc42 fireplace and a triple wall chimney in it. The previous owners converted it to gas and didn’t use it very often. If I remove the gas line and ceramic logs can I burn wood? Everything I’ve read say yes. My second question is. If I wanted to be able to burn all day other than changing inserts what would need to be done so I could safely do this. The fireplace hearth was built for a zero clearance insert.
Zero clearance fireplaces like this are meant to be recreational fireplaces and are not really meant to be burnt all day all the time. They also will provide little to no heat to the room.

I understand it’s not made for heat and looking at it I can see why. But if I would like to burn for heat could a prefab be replaced with a better insert?

I understand it’s not made for heat and looking at it I can see why. But if I would like to burn for heat could a prefab be replaced with a better insert?
Not an insert no. It could be replaced with a high efficency fireplace though.

I’ve had wood stoves in the past and loved it. I know what I have isn’t made for heat and won’t push it for heat. I will look into a high efficiency fireplace once setting in more.

Reactions: bholler
I’ve had wood stoves in the past and loved it. I know what I have isn’t made for heat and won’t push it for heat. I will look into a high efficiency fireplace once setting in more.
You could also look for a location where a freestanding stove could go with a prefab chimney.