Majestic ZC Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp_cs

Feb 14, 2013
Hello all, I just found this forum and am hoping someone might be able to answer a few q's regarding my fireplace. It is a majestic brand ZC wood fireplace that I would like to remove and install in its place a new gas fireplace. My questions are 1. what is involved in removing one of these (taking apart the surround is not possible.) 2. Roof is being replaced in near future and I want to rip off chase and old chimney pipe (I would like to vent gas fireplace out sidewall.) is that possible?. 3. Will a new gas ZC fireplace just slide in opening in fieldstone? . anyone that can answer any of these q's I would really appreciate it. Thanks -chris

Attachments

• FP2.JPG
    FP2.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 285
  • FP3.JPG
    FP3.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 297
Hello all, I just found this forum and am hoping someone might be able to answer a few q's regarding my fireplace. It is a majestic brand ZC wood fireplace that I would like to remove and install in its place a new gas fireplace. My questions are 1. what is involved in removing one of these (taking apart the surround is not possible.) 2. Roof is being replaced in near future and I want to rip off chase and old chimney pipe (I would like to vent gas fireplace out sidewall.) is that possible?. 3. Will a new gas ZC fireplace just slide in opening in fieldstone? . anyone that can answer any of these q's I would really appreciate it. Thanks -chris

I've done this a couple of dozen times & even with two guys that know what they're doing, it's AT LEAST an 8 hour job, & probably longer.
The BEST way to save your existing stone is to remove as much of the existing FP (surround, doors, louvers) as you can from the INSIDE, but remove the box & chimney from the OUTSIDE.
This will mean carefully removing as much siding as necessary from the soffit to the deck. Then you will have to pop the nails with a catspaw & remove as much of the sheathing as you need to. Then you will have to cut the wall studs, again, as needed to get access to the ZC box. The biotch will be trying to separate the venting from the wood box. Usually, I just use pry bars to break the seal, & as each section is freed up (from outer to inner), it's pried up & anchored to framing members with zip screws & plumber's strap. Once you get ALL the vent pieces off, lifted clear & supported, then the box can be cut free from the framing & pulled out.
The venting can then be dropped to the floor & each length can be separated. Now is the time to run your gas line & any required wiring...You can simply block off the chase top with a piece of aluminum until the roof is done... Installing the gas box is pretty much the reverse, but you may have to get creative to make the facing look good. I kinda doubt you will find a gas unit with EXACTLY the the same front dimensions as the wood unit. Once you get the gas box in & fastened, you'll have to build your new exterior wall with the vent location already framed into it. It will also need to be insulated & sheetrocked & have the inner firestop in place. The opening that this stud wall fits into should be framed like a door opening with studs jacks & a header. Sheathing & siding are last. Once you install the cap, you will also have install a heat shield cap over it unless you can get it 7 feet above the deck (which I doubt). This height is required for safety reasons...Hopefully some of this is clear...

Reactions: Heatsource
Thanks for the reply.. I have no problem taking off the siding as its going to be replaced Anyway.. Biggest problem i have is cutting into the studs as its an exterior load bearing wall.. Maybe cutting just a few for a short time wouldnt hurt? I was hoping i could find a gas fireplace that will be small enough that i could slide it in from the front like an insert with trim installed to cover any size differance.. I was planning on having a hearth store do the new install anyway, i was mainly going to do the tearout myself (chimney guy said about 1k just to remove old fireplace and chimney.. I would have them do it if i was sure i could get a new fireplace to fit (i dont want to remove it until i know for sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.