Making a leather bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Anybody here know about leather work? I want REALLY STIFF leather to use for the front, back, and side of the bag. I want the back leather to fold over the front and become front closure/flap. Really simple bag that I think with some time I can make incredibly nice. Any help on where to get this really stiff leather or even what it is called? Also what to sew it with...obviously by hand because I am probably not buying a sewing machine.

I asked the boss your question, she is in the sewing/design business. She buys from Tandy Leather Factory in Texas. They have all kinds of leathers died and undied, books, patterns and kits that are already punched out. Good luck with your bag.

If you want really stiff leather you could also try a marine canvas company. Hides are typically used for grab patches and chafing gear on dodgers, and covers for wheels. As for sewing it... have fun, buddy! Seriously, you will need an awl to punch the leather, a leather needle (these have wedge points) and I would recommend a sailmaker's palm. A palm is a tool that fits over your hand and has a very reinforced area that allows you push the needle through the leather without pushing it through your hand. You will also want a pair of needlenose pliers (get the ones with the right angle) to pull the needle through. I'd use waxed thread, too (another sailmaker's supply). If you google sailmaking supplies you will find all manner of good and useful items. Good luck!

Thanks guys! Not exactly what I was looking for on Tandys page but a good help!

Bobbin, I am thinking I like your idea...the leather I want is a little thinner than tool belt leather. Any ideas on where to find that?

Oak tanned leather in 1/4" thickness is about as stiff as it comes. Sometimes called tooling leather. Tandy used to sell it - may still do. Can be dyed just about any color. Will show water stains unless protected with a good wax.

NoPaint, try googling sailmaking supplies or a sail loft (I have no idea what part of the country you're in), they may be willing to sell you what you need. I suspect you may have trouble buying direct from wholesalers. Tandy may carry palms, but I rather doubt it, since it is a tool rather specific to sailmaking. The rest of the stuff would likely be available from any place that supplies hides and/or leather working equipment. You might also have some luck going through a cobbler (if you can even find one!).

Tandy is the "Radio Shack" of the leather world (quite literally, the companies are related!) and at least used to carry the sailmakers palms, which are essentially an "industrial strength" thimble in terms of function... However according to my few sources, Tandy Leather, like Radio Shack has somewhat of a reputation for less than the best quality, at possibly higher than average prices, with a heavy consumer focus - the pro's know better places to go...

If you are near a sizeable city, I'd also try the Yellow Pages for "leathermaking supplies & equipment" or something along that line.

Another place that might be good is your local "tack" shop for horse supplies and other harness making outfits, as they would know where to look for custom saddle makers that would be VERY likely to have the stuff you want...

And last, but far from least - "GIYF" (Google Is Your Friend) - a search on "leather making" and similar terms would likely find you some good online sources, and probably some forums on leatherworking... (is there anything that ISN'T on the net?

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.