Making a wood stack fence?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I just did some major garage demo/rebuilding to get a postage square of a yard. I have a section of yard facing a public alley that needs a fence put up. I also could use some wood storage....
Anyone have a good method to stack wood that could double as a fence? Most of all, it needs to be stable--I don't need a lawsuit or grief from the city.

Here is what we use and I have 5 that are 4 wide x 5 1/2 tall and 16 long- 1 that is 20 long - 1 that is 8 long and 2 that are 4x4x 5 1/2. I got them on the south side of my property

Attachments

• wood4.JPG
    wood4.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 905
I just did some major garage demo/rebuilding to get a postage square of a yard. I have a section of yard facing a public alley that needs a fence put up. I also could use some wood storage....
Anyone have a good method to stack wood that could double as a fence? Most of all, it needs to be stable--I don't need a lawsuit or grief from the city.
My worry would be the Stack fence against a public alley.....some of that fence may start walking

My worry would be the Stack fence against a public alley.....some of that fence may start walking
If its anything like where I used to live if it ain't chained down it will definetly grow legs!
+1 on the pine idea, however most who steal wouldn't even know species or care about moisture content anyway.

Reactions: Handsonautotech
4x4x8' pt set in ground 2', 2 post set together 12-14" apart and spaced 8' between sets. chicken wire or other light wire fencing on public side to protect from pieces walking away and to keep them from falling in public space. each section should give 1/2 cord packed at 6' high.

I like the idea above, by why limit yourself to an 8' length? Put two posts on one side of your "fence", two posts on the other side, then fill up the middle with firewood. You could run some wire rope or something to hang the chicken wire from (tensioned with a turnbuckle or something) and staple the chicken wire to the posts at either end.

i only suggested 8' to stay with somewhat of a standard fence post span, future fencing project = post already installed on 8' centers. IMO the smaller the spans between post will give more stability and also maintain the appearance of a 6' privacy fence through burning season

Here is what we use and I have 5 that are 4 wide x 5 1/2 tall and 16 long- 1 that is 20 long - 1 that is 8 long and 2 that are 4x4x 5 1/2. I got them on the south side of my property
I like the look of this one, but the pic doesn't show the back side. Is there anything along the back of that? I was thinking that something like this with maybe some type of lattice attached to the back side might be nice for the public facing side, especially since it would still look a little like a fence when there is no wood there (can't keep the whole thing stocked full of wood all the time, right?).

If its anything like where I used to live if it ain't chained down it will definetly grow legs!
+1 on the pine idea, however most who steal wouldn't even know species or care about moisture content anyway.
I'm in a yuppie urban area. I'm probably the only one within a mile radius that burns wood for real (except maybe @DanCorcoran ). I have a lot of chainsaws and other sharp/heavy tools. I think most of the neighbors are a little scared of me.

4x4x8' pt set in ground 2', 2 post set together 12-14" apart and spaced 8' between sets. chicken wire or other light wire fencing on public side to protect from pieces walking away and to keep them from falling in public space. each section should give 1/2 cord packed at 6' high.
Yeah, so basically just a permanent rack. Span the 8' with some lawn timbers or something. I like the idea of lattice on the back side. The posts would blend with the rest of the fence. Although I guess at this point I basically have wood stacked against a fence without pickets. We'll see if I can sell it to the Mrs...

Looks great!

I'm in a yuppie urban area. I'm probably the only one within a mile radius that burns wood for real (except maybe @DanCorcoran ). I have a lot of chainsaws and other sharp/heavy tools. I think most of the neighbors are a little scared of me.
Better check your local codes- they got all sorts of funny ideas on stacking firewood- and the code dude or dudett don't care about your sharp or pointy implements or you either for that matter. For all their yapping about being green they are extremely two faced (course what's new about that it's gov.)

Status
Not open for further replies.