Mama bear bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark logan

Nov 1, 2022
Georgia
Hi everyone
I'm new here. I recently purchased a used Fisher Mama bear stove. It's in pretty good shape. The sides are smooth and only had a few cracked brick. After a good brushing and cleaning it's ready for paste. I cleaned out the inside and have removed the brick saving most of them. I downloaded the brick pattern for the Mama bear and everything matches except there's no 2nd tier of brick in mine... The schematic shows a T bar that would accommodate the 2nd tier but mine has only an angle piece to fit the lower tier in. I see no evidence that someone has altered it or that the brackets are broken off. Is this an older model or newer one and if so then are the 2nd tier of bricks necessary. THANKS in advance.

Hi everyone
I'm new here. I recently purchased a used Fisher Mama bear stove. It's in pretty good shape. The sides are smooth and only had a few cracked brick. After a good brushing and cleaning it's ready for paste. I cleaned out the inside and have removed the brick saving most of them. I downloaded the brick pattern for the Mama bear and everything matches except there's no 2nd tier of brick in mine... The schematic shows a T bar that would accommodate the 2nd tier but mine has only an angle piece to fit the lower tier in. I see no evidence that someone has altered it or that the brackets are broken off. Is this an older model or newer one and if so then are the 2nd tier of bricks necessary. THANKS in advance.
Paint it do not use stove polish

The second course of brick is only optional. It is not needed to protect the sides, it is for raising internal firebox temperature for a cleaner burn.

As stated above, Stove Polish is for antique cast iron stoves only, NOT smooth steel plate. It was used only on rough cast iron before high temperature paints were formulated. Polish, or paste is not water or water vapor impermeable. The iron under it will rust, requiring repeated coats. Paint is far superior. Polish also will not leave a smoth finish. It will look like smearing shoe polish on glass making a mess.

Original paint would be Stove Bright Satin Black.