Man up and get a big saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No thank you on any level...lol

Crazy. The ones where the guy stands at the nose of the bar to hold it down make me real nervous. Chain better not come off....

I've seen the chain break on Predator(it belonged to neighbors dad)...they found a piece of it over a 1/4 mile away...stuck in some bodies windshield...@ Deming Wa.
:eek::oops: Hope no one was hurt.

Just because something can be done, does not mean it needs to be done.

I've seen the chain break on Predator(it belonged to neighbors dad)...they found a piece of it over a 1/4 mile away...stuck in some bodies windshield...@ Deming Wa.

These are a blast to watch in real life. I recall the "hot saws" at the Deming log show from about 12 years ago (when I lived in Bellingham) and was quite impressed. Equally impressive was the huge guys that could handle these things, some true lumberjack types.

Of course, I'd have to go big Hemi.

stihlhemi.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I didn't quite get the point. Most of those saws have at least 10x the engine that is needed to cut at those speeds unless they have bicycle chains on the bars. Maybe they are scored on machine weight to add a weightlifting element.

I didn't quite get the point. Most of those saws have at least 10x the engine that is needed to cut at those speeds unless they have bicycle chains on the bars. Maybe they are scored on machine weight to add a weightlifting element.

Watch your words, or Jags might punch a hole in your man card. You appear to have insufficient appreciation of overkill.

I know I posted it, but each time I come back to this thread, I see that Hemi Stihl photo and think it has a blood flow problem.

Reactions: Bigger_Al
I know I posted it, but each time I come back to this thread, I see that Hemi Stihl photo and think it has a blood flow problem.
Ohhh... NOW I get it... that is way funny!

Of course it does. Are you new here?

I find these saws quite intriguing. I always sport a big bar with ample displacement to power the tool. As a child, Father Manly would implore us youngsters to strap on a big set and go out into the world full throttle. The Manly Family credo carried over into our work, life, love and wood burning lives. 20 inches is as small as I go. But on special occasions, when the wood is big and the crowd is excited, I break out the two handed monster and let it rip. Family tradition runs long and deep for the Manly Clan. :)

Reactions: Ashful
Slackers - I didn’t see a single super charger or blower on any of them.

Last edited: