Mantel Clearance confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SculptureOfSound

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hello all,

Still researching and trying to make my decision between the BK Ashford 25 and the QF Voyageur Grand. One remaining issue is the mantel clearance:

For the Voyageur it's 45", not a big deal. I have to take off 1" of trim off the bottom of a fairly large wood mantel. Just removing a piece of trim. No biggie and it will still look good.

The BK calls for 62" clearance without a mantel shield and 48" with mantel shield. I really don't want to use a mantel shield, as aesthetics are important to me and my girlfriend.

Anyhow, I see there are some pretty awesome non-combustible mantles out there such as Magra Hearth, which look just leak real wood beams. Perfect!

My question is, how does the mantel clearance distance come into play with things ON or attached to a hearth. Say I get this non-combustible mantle and set it so that the top of it is at 45" above hearth level, can I safely put cards/books/other-combustible-decor on top of it? W/o the mantle shield the BK is calling for 62" so I'm wondering about (and worried, safety is #1 priority now that my son is born!) how mantel clearances are considered with regards to things ON a mantle.

Thanks!