Mantel shield placement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
While I’m meeting clearances, my mantel is getting a bit too hot for my comfort at times and I just bought a Meeco’s Red Devil Mantel Protector. I know the shield needs a one inch gap (and comes with one-inch ceramic spacers) but do I need to leave a space where the back of the shield meets the part of the wooden mantel that’s perpendicular to the floor, or can the shield butt right up against that part of the wood mantel? The part that I’m wondering about it touching or leaving a space is the part of the mantel with the sun-like design carved in the wood (it would touch just above that to protect the part of the mantel above that, which is parallel to the floor). If I do need to leave a gap there, how big of a gap?

86563B06-A02F-4A50-80D9-15C3778E4967.jpeg

164563AB-BEED-42EA-959F-6F39CE0FB53C.jpeg

3CC44988-717D-4A5E-B5E4-8A470DF33C02.jpeg

Just bumping this up to hopefully get a reply. Last night when I had the stove going pretty hot, I measure part of the mantel at 144 Fahrenheit with an IR gun. That’s hotter than usual, and maybe not to be of concern as from what I can tell it’s still well under pyrolysis temp for wood, but still seems pretty high to me - am I being overly concerned or should I put the mantel shield up? And, back to my original question, do I need to leave any space around the back edge of the mantel shield or can that butt right up against the wood on the part of the mantel that is parallel with the wall?

Thanks!

How about attaching it under the lintel above the stove?

How about attaching it under the lintel above the stove?

I did that with my old stove (pic attached) but then it was to protect the lower part of my mantel based on clearance needs for that stove, which is beneath the part I’m concerned with now. I could do this again, but I think would have to build a shield to stick out further to protect the upper part of the mantel that sticks out further, and I thought the one I purchased would be more discreet (though does have the drawback of needing to screw into the wood, whereas I held the other in place on the lintel with a bunch of strong magnets). If I do screw the new shield into the top part of the mante, do I need to leave a space in the back pulling it out from touching the part of the mantel with the sun-like oval carving and if so how much, or can/should it butt right up against that part of the mantel (it will have a one inch space from the part of the mantel it’s protecting)? Am I explaining this clearly? Also, is 144 Fahrenheit on the wooden mantel cause for concern?

A3AD8463-E799-42E2-BD64-BE259485C3EA.jpeg

I did that with my old stove (pic attached) but then it was to protect the lower part of my mantel based on clearance needs for that stove, which is beneath the part I’m concerned with now. I could do this again, but I think would have to build a shield to stick out further to protect the upper part of the mantel that sticks out further, and I thought the one I purchased would be more discreet (though does have the drawback of needing to screw into the wood, whereas I held the other in place on the lintel with a bunch of strong magnets). If I do screw the new shield into the top part of the mante, do I need to leave a space in the back pulling it out from touching the part of the mantel with the sun-like oval carving and if so how much, or can/should it butt right up against that part of the mantel (it will have a one inch space from the part of the mantel it’s protecting)? Am I explaining this clearly? Also, is 144 Fahrenheit on the wooden mantel cause for concern?

View attachment 233344

@begreen, any thoughts on this?

It looks like it would work and will be deep enough. You could reduce angle a little if necessary but I would try it. If it needs to be deeper maybe pop rivet an extension to the bottom edge?

It looks like it would work and will be deep enough. You could reduce angle a little if necessary but I would try it. If it needs to be deeper maybe pop rivet an extension to the bottom edge?

This is all good @begreen, but I’m still wondering about my two original questions:

1) If installing this mantel shield to protect the main upper-most/largest part of my mantel, the back edge of the shield will be up against a lower part of my wooden mantel (just above the oval sun-like design - see pics). Can the back edge of the metal shield butt up against that part of the mantel, or do I need to leave an air space there? If I need to leave a space, how big? I know I need a 1” airspace for the part of mantel it’s protecting but does it have to have an opening at the back of the shield as well?

2) My wooden mantel has gotten as hot as 144 Farenheit a few times recently. Is that reason for concern? It doesn’t sustain temps that high, but has gotten that high on a few recent occasions.

Thanks!

EC342013-1D30-44C8-9A99-1498320DDA65.jpeg

3D6306BA-142E-4F09-B94D-B3EC3062195A.jpeg

Raised up like that the shield is not protecting the mantel facia where the sun dial is. It will look odd and will block the view of the woodwork. I would only consider mounting it at the lintel for these reasons.