Mantle Clearance over Heritage 8024?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pennsyltucky

Nov 16, 2020
Pennsylvania
I'd like to install a mantle over my newly installed Heritage 8024. The mantle would extend over the top of the stove a few inches, is there a minimum clearance overhead for the heritage? The older model manual shows 24" but the 8024 manual doesn't specify anything for overhead clearance. I can build it out of a non-combustible using a piece of blue stone if necessary but wood would be a lot easier/cheaper.

If ~25" works that's not an issue and I can do wood as it puts me right at the 55" mark on the wall which is optimal height. if it's over 25" by much I'd have to go too far up the wall and will use noncombustible to make the mantle.

It's best to ask Hearthstone. They may not have tested this yet, but it will coax them to add it back to the new manual.

Soapstone is a fabulous insulator. I’d suspect the mantle clearance to be very low compared to other wood stoves, if not it’s only a default number so they didn’t have to test further.. Hearthstone really seemed to send most of their heat up the flue, maybe the new version is better? Still has the stone that’s know for “soft heat”.. Whatever that means.

I'll definitely email hearthstone. The closest thing I can find in the Hearthstone manual for the 8024 would be the alcove section I suppose? That specifies 33.75" from stove top to alcove ceiling, but an 8" mantle isn't really an alcove..

We'll see what they say but I many just do a floating bluestone mantle attached to the masonry chimney with angle iron, noncombustible and will never have to worry about it.

I'll definitely email hearthstone. The closest thing I can find in the Hearthstone manual for the 8024 would be the alcove section I suppose? That specifies 33.75" from stove top to alcove ceiling, but an 8" mantle isn't really an alcove..

We'll see what they say but I many just do a floating bluestone mantle attached to the masonry chimney with angle iron, noncombustible and will never have to worry about it.
I am in the same situation. I purchased a Hearthstone 8362 and plan to mount in on my hearth in front of my masonry fireplace. Unfortunately I have a wood mantle that, from what my installer says, does not have the necessary clearance. There is no real spec for this clearance and I have looked at the NFPA 211 info and I still cant figure it out. Yes its combustible, but there isn't information on clearance if it is shielded. Is this a grey area that an inspector will have to make a judgment call on?

Attachments

• Fireplace dimensions.jpg
    Fireplace dimensions.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 112
I have the new 8024 and owner's manual on page 13 shows mantle clearances. They show a 48" clearance from foot of stove to bottom of mantle. Mantle can have maximum depth of 12" but how close you can place stove next to wall depends on whether you have single pipe, double pipe or heat shield.
oops. Just realized this post was from Dec 2020

I am in the same situation. I purchased a Hearthstone 8362 and plan to mount in on my hearth in front of my masonry fireplace. Unfortunately I have a wood mantle that, from what my installer says, does not have the necessary clearance. There is no real spec for this clearance and I have looked at the NFPA 211 info and I still cant figure it out. Yes its combustible, but there isn't information on clearance if it is shielded. Is this a grey area that an inspector will have to make a judgment call on?

Often times top exit stoves are not tested for mantel clearances, due to the chimney going vertical. Testing the mantel clearance during the appliance testing is an added cost that may net be beneficial to the sale of the appliance.

Unlisted clearances default to 36" to combustibles. With an NFPA 211 shield, you can reduce the mantle clearance by 50%, or 18"-whichever is greater. In this case, the number is the same.

Hope this helps...