Manual Kinetic Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raithi

Jan 20, 2018
SE Ohio
So I've seen some videos of people using a manual kinetic spliter made from steel tube stock and a car spring with a wedge or maul head and counter weight. Anyone one here use one? It seems like it could be pretty fast if set up properly. Im just wanting to hear from someone with real world experience with one. Id hate to go to the trouble of building one just to be disappointed with A) The speed or B) size of rounds you could split

youtube has a few videos

I'm curious too. I've never welded but I know some people who could help me out making one. Just don't want to do it if it's not effective at splitting.
I think the op has already watched the videos he's just looking for some firsthand review. Anybody?
One video I watched claimed it was "3 times faster than a hydraulic splitter." Hard to believe but if it was true...

I have an idea to modify one of those designs by taking a car rim, welding a rebar spider to it and concreting it in the ground. Then i can mount the whole thing on the stub axle so it can spin 360 degrees.

Then I can stack my rounds in a full 9 - 10 foot circle and halve them all at once. Make one of my kids follow behind me to spin them so I can quarter them on my second pass.

Reactions: saewoody
youtube has a few videos

A lot of those videos are from Central and Eastern Europe. Where nobody cares if you loose a finger or two. Despite the spring, that wedge is there, poised above the wood and your hand, each time you set or reposition the log to split. Often just held up with the other hand. Slips happen.

I live in Central Europe. I know too many people with missing fingers.

No doubt the designs are dangerous . When you make the process faster , you increase the danger . I'm looking at plans for a tractor 3 pt log splitter that splits when the ram moves in each direction , speeding up the process , so your not waiting for the ram to retract to split again .

No doubt the designs are dangerous . When you make the process faster , you increase the danger . I'm looking at plans for a tractor 3 pt log splitter that splits when the ram moves in each direction , speeding up the process , so your not waiting for the ram to retract to split again .

Speed does increase risk.

But most 3 point log splitters are horizontal. Much safer. You rarely put your finger between the blade and the log. :)

Thats why Im thinking the stub axle 360 rotation design, I could stand up easily 20 - 30 rounds, do them one at a time in a circle and have someone follow behind me and spin them for another pass. Probably faster that way. Definitely safer.

Here, this is faster, what could possibly go wrong???

Reactions: WiscWoody
Re Wheel Of Debt:

How come he didn't show himself spitting out his teeth like Chiclets? Stupid should hurt.

Throwing the wood into the wheel and trying to catch it as it flies around and off the table . Its a wonder he split 7 cord and didn't loose 7 fingers .That's insane .

That dude is brave or crazy. I don’t imagine he splits any kindling with that thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that thing is scarier than that time I tried to split kindling after eating mushrooms.

Speed does increase risk.

But most 3 point log splitters are horizontal. Much safer. You rarely put your finger between the blade and the log. :)
Well.... one of my mowing clients did just that with his new home built splitter on the first day he had ever split wood for one of his rental cabins here in Wisconsinthis last summer. He showed me the new splitter on a Monday and I saw him again on Thursday of the same week with his arm in a sling. Somehow he got his fingers between the wedge and the log and lost half of two fingers. I don’t know how and I didn’t ask. I figured he felt a bit dumb already. It’s a 40 mile drive to the ER up here. I’ve known a few that have taken the long bloody painful ride.