Maple and what kind of oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Started picking up about 3 cords free of wood. Going to take a while as I only have a car but it's 8 minutes away and all free on the ground. Cut some up yesterday. I know the one on the left is maple and the home owner said the other is oak. What kind of oak is this? Haven't split any yet hopefully tomorrow. Almost a yellowish outside ring on it. Tree is from RI 20180612_195329.jpg

Does not look like an oak leaf on that branch in the background, if that is attached to one of the rounds in question

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is. It was hard to tell but it almost seemed like oval type of leaf. I'll see if I can find some better ones to take a picture of after work.

Grabbed some more today and took a picture of the leaves. After a quick Google looks the cherry. Better than oak?
20180613_184412.jpg

Soft Maple and Cherry not a doubt about it

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Grabbed some more today and took a picture of the leaves. After a quick Google looks the cherry. Better than oak?
View attachment 227242
If you have a large smoker that eats splits it is (as I do).....but not as good as any oak for the stove....better than your maple though.

Get that Cherry smell imprinted into your brain so you can identify it from now on, and take a look at the scaly bark, very easy to ID Cherry.

Good score though, nice clean looking wood and the price was right lol!

I find it interesting how the color of cherry will vary depending on location....the blow downs I get from the forrest behind my house has a color of raw meat....very dark and deep red....same color when it's wet or if I re-split a 2 year old split....it sure puts a beautiful color on my BBQ....

Oak obviously wins for BTU's but cherry has up sides too...smells good, splits nice, seasons quick (way quicker than oak) and still throws heat.