Maple Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikeyy889

Jan 21, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have gotten a lot of silver maple here in south western Pennsylvania. Buddy told me this red maple but I’m not too sure. Does anybody know what it is by the picture? Got two chords worth. Thanks

2303EB10-14B8-4ACE-A493-A18F22E5E206.jpeg

It’s definitely maple. Can see it’s signature mark. Not sure red or silver makes that much difference

My guess is red maple. It's just one photo, but it's usually a clear difference in person.

I like red maple a lot. Silver maple is one of the very last things I use. Very unimpressive. Which is interesting, because they are pretty closely related. Maybe even hybridize in a forest?

But as firewood red maple is like my #4 preference and I don't bother to scavenge silver call it my #20.

My guess is red maple. It's just one photo, but it's usually a clear difference in person.

I like red maple a lot. Silver maple is one of the very last things I use. Very unimpressive. Which is interesting, because they are pretty closely related. Maybe even hybridize in a forest?

But as firewood red maple is like my #4 preference and I don't bother to scavenge silver call it my #20.
Interesting... I burned a bunch of silver maple in the fall shoulder season and was pretty happy with it. Didn't start really easy, but once going it burned well, gave decent heat and didn't leave a ton of coals.

I say it every post discussing softwoods... I love being able to use them with the new EPA stove!

Interesting... I burned a bunch of silver maple in the fall shoulder season and was pretty happy with it. Didn't start really easy, but once going it burned well, gave decent heat and didn't leave a ton of coals.

I say it every post discussing softwoods... I love being able to use them with the new EPA stove!
I agree, it doesn't kindle easily. For some reason red maple does. And makes a little more interesting flame, mixed with oak, and has a little more heat. It's closer to a hard wood.

Pretty sure it's red. I am not positive how to scientifically differentiate the two via the wood (its easy with the leaves/buds) but it's the dominant tree in my area and this is what it usually looks like. I just bucked a giant one yesterday. Took me 1.5 tanks of gas in the saw!

20210121_141508.jpg

I've had the other experience than some of you guys as I will take Silver Maple just about anytime I see it and one of the reasons being that it makes great kindling and quarter splits because for me it does ignite easily. Burns hot and clean with a nice, lively flame.

And to the OP I also believe that what you have pictured is Red Maple.

My only experience with silver from maybe 25 years ago was a huge one from a small lot in the city and it was spiraled all the way up and didn't make nice splits. Not sure if that's due to the genetics of the tree or because it was growing right next to a house on a postage stamp lot, I've seen on some posts here from more wisened burners that the location of the tree could cause the spiraling. Never had any spiraling on any of my reds, and I've done lots of them.