Maple ID Help > Pic posted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Just retrieved about 1/2 cord of new cut down from a tree company. Splits by hand like a dream.

Can anyone tell me what type of wood this is? I really think its a type of Maple.

Tx!

G -

Attachments

• maple_type.jpg
    maple_type.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 421
That's definitely black cherry.

woah - no kidding. Thoughts on how this stuff burns? Maybe I'll go beg for more?

Pic doesn't do it justice, the heartwood is actually maroon in color and smells really nice.

Tx for the replies!

G -

When dry, cherry burns hot and coals up nice, but it doesn't have the btu value that some other species, like hard maple, beech, hickory, etc. enjoy. Black cherry is the most valuable commercial timber species in the Northeast, but it's kind of mid-grade firewood. But if you got it, burn it. You won't be disappointed.

Yup, one more vote for cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.