Maple Mystery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
Came back from vacation to see this pile of maple sitting on the other side of my driveway. It's technically on my neighbor's property. No cut trees in sight, so I don't think it was the power company.

I asked my neighbor, who is also out of town, and he has no idea why it is there. He also has no use for it and wants it gone. I know a couple tree guys who drop wood for me sometimes, but they always check first and they never leave it in this location. So, it's a total mystery and I'm thinking some tree service didn't feel like paying the dumping fee and dropped it here where few people would see them (we are at the end of a secluded road).

Anyway, I know the mystery will end in my wood pile. My piles are full so at this point I wouldn't go out of my way for soft maple, but I can't pass up wood that just lands in my lap like this.
IMG_1018.JPG

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Turns nose up and exits stage left lol

Reminiscent of the time when a tree company dumped a load of wood in front yard my childhood home just before Easter weekend because they heard that dad liked to burn wood. A yes, but . . . situation.

Reminiscent of the time when a tree company dumped a load of wood in front yard my childhood home just before Easter weekend because they heard that dad liked to burn wood. A yes, but . . . situation.
My thoughts exactly. Really lucky to have this score, but I definitely had a lot on my to do list for the weekend already.

I'm also not so sure this is soft maple. I had just assumed it was silver maple based on the color of the bark, but when I started moving it, it seemed awfully dense. I might be getting soft but this seemed more dense than the silver I processed before. I'm also seeing flaps of bark on the limbs, which is reminding me of sugar maple more than the silver I'm used to. I searched the pile and was only able to find one leaf in bad shape. Doesn't look like silver or red. Either way, this wood is getting 2 years to season.
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Norway maple, I love burning that stuff.

At least they dropped what looks to be pretty decently cut chunks, nothing overly awkward and a normal length.

I was supposed to have had some elms end up in my yard the other day (from my yard) but the tree guys really liked their new chipper. I was really bummed because the wood was going to be dropped in a super easy place to process, AND they were the only 2 straight trees on my property.

They put the whole thing in the chipper (15" diameter trees).... grrr. I don't need the wood right now, but it was going to be easy.

I called my buddy who owns the tree service and told him I would trade him for 2 straight oaks for taking my elms :)

I was supposed to have had some elms end up in my yard the other day (from my yard) but the tree guys really liked their new chipper. I was really bummed because the wood was going to be dropped in a super easy place to process, AND they were the only 2 straight trees on my property.

They put the whole thing in the chipper (15" diameter trees).... grrr. I don't need the wood right now, but it was going to be easy.

I called my buddy who owns the tree service and told him I would trade him for 2 straight oaks for taking my elms :)
Sorry to hear that. Hope they make it right.

At least they dropped what looks to be pretty decently cut chunks, nothing overly awkward and a normal length.
Yeah, the pieces are definitely nice. It's a good problem to have.

Sorry to hear that. Hope they make it right.
He has given me enough of a deal on tree work and I don't know if i'll be seeing a bill for this one, so i'm not all that concerned. He's a good guy and I am sure will leave me a present in the future if I ask him to.

i was just really excited to split some easy elm pieces that were standing dead and could right into my stack!

Did they at least leave the pile of chips for you?

Norway maple, I love burning that stuff.
I was also thinking of Norway Maple but the flappy, gnarly bark ruled that out for me. I found some more leaves (see pic) and spent some time with my tree ID book and came to the conclusion that this is actually "Black Maple" (Acer Nigrum). Bark, leaves and a samara I found all seem to match. Pretty exciting since this is basically the same as sugar maple and should deliver some nice BTUs.
IMG_1025.JPG