"Marine" 2 cycle oil in chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mutineer

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2018
NE Ohio
Does anyone have an opinion on whether using "marine" specific 2 cycle oil in a chainsaw/leafblower etc. small engine would cause any problems? (Not that anyone on here has any opinions.....)

I have done that to no ill effect that I can tell as well as regular 10w30 when I was in a pinch- The current synthetic stuff runs much cleaner - less carbon deposits. oil is oil but it is the additives that make difference.

I used that 40 years ago in my moped. The detergents were to harsh and scored the piston which i had to replace. Not sure what modern marine oil contains in it?

Thanks for the info, Amazon has some gallons of Pennzoil Marine XLF oil for $15.90 so I bought one. Should last me maybe 3 years.

There is a difference, but i don't remember what it was.
I believe the outboard oil will leave a buildup on the piston as air cooled and water cooled run at different temperatures.

Many Stihl manuals specifically dis-recommend BIA and TC-W outboard oils.

I think the problem with oils intended for water cooled boat engines is that they're not up to the demands of a hotter running air cooled engine.

If it was me I'd return it and get a JASO FD oil.

Thanks for the info, Amazon has some gallons of Pennzoil Marine XLF oil for $15.90 so I bought one. Should last me maybe 3 years.
The engineer who invented Pennzoil Marine XLF runs it in all his 2 strokes whether air or water cooled.

Here she actually tests them. I'm more wary of Stihl Ultra than marine oil.

I bought a gallon of marine 2-stroke oil to use in my chainsaws because it was cheaper, obviously. Before I actually used it in my saws, I read a lot about it and concluded it wasn’t worth it, especially in my nice husky 572xp saw. I ended up buying the 6.4 oz. Husky xp 2-stroke oil bottles in bulk… if you do the math, 2-stroke oil is not a big cost in the grand scheme of things. It is much more convenient to buy the little bottles anyway, and probably almost as cheap if you buy those bulk.

Reactions: sloeffle
This is the 1st comment on her video.

From danblack2728

Hi Bri, I was an automatic transmission engineer that designed and developed automatics for 35 years. I'm also a small engine mechanic hobbiest that have repaired over 10,000 small engines. Anyway, when I worked at Chrysler I got involved with new ATF programs for our transmissions and had several meetings with our oil additive suppliers. Anyway we talked extensively about 2 cycle oil additive packages just for my own interest. They told me that the air cooled oils contains ash in it and it's not used in marine applications due to fouling issues of the plug at idle since many boaters troll with their outboard motors. Ash content is very durable for high speed and high temp 2 stroke applications especially when mixing at 50:1. They told me marine oils are fine for air cooled motors if you just run it richer at like 32:1 or 40:1. I always use marine oil at 32:1 for my chainsaws and blowers and have never had a problem. The additive suppliers also said that any TCW3 is fine because they have to pass the same tests as any other oil which is the 70 hp Evinrude motor run for 100 hours at 4000 rpms mixed at 100:1. Therefore I buy the cheap Supertech 2 cycle oil from Walmart. The only difference is the smell may be a little different however performance is the same. So the moral of the story is you are correct. If spending big dollars for high tech oil is your thing, then do it. However if you run marine 2 cycle oil just run it a little richer for your air cooled 2 strokes. BTW I run my outboard at 40:1.

There is some difference, water and air cooled 2 cycle. Logic would say the air cooled is a more severe application. My father would use a quart of 10/30 every tank in his Sabb. It smoked a lot but ran forever.