Maritimes Canada fall pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I just got a price of $419 per skid (70 bags) for Eastern Embers. Works out to $5.98 per bag. Called a few places, and this seems about average.

I think the best way to get a good price is to get a number of guys together and try to get group pricing for at least 10 pallet loads. We got Eastern Embers last year for 5.25 per bag plus tax for ten pallets of product. We had all guys pick them up on the same day.

hemlock said:
Hello,
I just got a price of $419 per skid (70 bags) for Eastern Embers. Works out to $5.98 per bag. Called a few places, and this seems about average.

Is that delivered? The going price for a bag last year was around $5.44/bag +taxes at Home Depot, RONA & Lumbermart in HRM. Not including delivery.

Hi Kobalt.

I've tried to get a co-op together in the Halifax area, but there seems to be no interest. Can I join yours? I'm good for at least 3 pallets. If so, can you PM the details?

Thanks Kobalt. I figured you picked up from the Eastern Embers plant, which is just outside of the HRM. My mistake!

Anyone else - if you are interested in a co-op in the HRM area, shoot me a PM. My initial discussions with a supplier was that the best deal is for a load of 22-24 pallets. Assuming 2 pallets each, we need 10-12 members.

We can get a smaller order, but the price increases.

rbchimp said:
hemlock said:
Hello,

Is that delivered? The going price for a bag last year was around $5.44/bag +taxes at Home Depot, RONA & Lumbermart in HRM. Not including delivery.

That price did not include delivery. I would figure at least $50-75 for delivery on top of that, depending on the distance. I got a price from Piercys for $495.13 delivered, for a pallet of 65 bags - works out to about $7.60 per bag, which seems a bit pricey.

I would have thought they would be cheaper by the bag if you bought them by the pallet, but I guess not. Home Hardware is around the corner from from where I work, so I'll probably just get 10 bags at a time after work until I've got 70 or 80 bags, and save the delivery charge.

Eastern Embers were $5.47 per bag at Piercys (Rona now, I guess) today (July 23). Seems like a good price.

They make the Enligna brand of pellets. Until the last few years, Enligna sold overseas almost exclusively, so I doubt they have been seen outside of Nova Scotia.

Why the business failed is a good question. I know there was a fire at the plant in or around 2008, but I also know the plant expanded in the last year or two "to meet demand for the product."

Just talked to Spring Valley Lumber in Kensington PEI and they have Shaw Pellets on at 5.24 per bag. That's 5.50 with taxes in and they will deliver anywhere on the Island for $25.00. Good price I think.

Thanks Kobalt..I jumped on that and ordered 2 pallets

Been looking for some deals in the Saint John, NB area.

So far:

Canadian Tire has Carawick on for $5.99 (no deal for pallets)
Kents has Comfy Cosy on sale starting Sept 8'th for $4.99 (no deal for pallets)
Home Hardware has Eastern Embers for $454 per pallet (seems expensive?)

Anyone else in this area heard of better deals coming up? I'm thinking closer to Sept/Oct we might hear of sales?

4.99 for comfy-cozy is pretty good, some people don't like them, but they burned fine in my Quad...Delivery cost is important to me....Home depot will place them in my garage with a pallet jack for $40, and the same service from Spring Valley Lumber (in Kensington PEI) are going to do the same for me for $25...can't beat that!!

If I was in NB I would be looking to get Crabbe pellets....heard they burned really great!!

Downeys home hardware, riverview (make their own and also have dealers) no change from last year(I just called) .....$4.50 a bag 33 pound bags (don't split as easy when throwing) 75 to a pallet and when you buy a pallet you get 5 free bags. No core on the pallet anymore. Truburn brand. Hot.

Greater Moncton delivery was 25 bucks ,I didn't ask if that changed or not. And if I recall they are 80/20 hardwood softwood. A rough calculation says around $5.20 per 40 pound bag I think.

Thanks for the tip on Cozys at $4.99. I hope Kents has the same price on them down here in Nova Scotia.

Not a great pellet, but at that price I can clean the stove a little more often.

Home Depot here in Saint John has Eastern Embers $5.99 - guy said he doesn't expect them to go on sale.

I think I'm going to go with the comfy cosy for $4.99 at Kents even though people here say they are not the greatest pellet - I figure with the $1 difference a bag, any difference in heat will be made up with cost savings.

Rona Halifax has Eastern Embers at $5.47 per 40 lb bag - same as last year.

Interestingly, a bag of pelletized water conditioner salt (20 kg or 44 lbs) was $4.99 per bag.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it seems to me that something is askew when salt that is mined, heavily refined and pelletized costs less per pound than wood pellets.

pete324rocket said:
You better hope its a warm winter......

Are they really that bad? I mean, I burned some last night for a couple of hours on 1-1 and subjectively couldn't tell the difference between them and Carawicks.

I burned both Eastern Embers and Comfy Cosy last winter, and can tell you that there was no comparison in the heat output. The Eastern Embers burned almost twice as hot. They're well worth paying the extra $$ if you're choosing between the two.

pjrettin said:
pete324rocket said:
You better hope its a warm winter......

Are they really that bad? I mean, I burned some last night for a couple of hours on 1-1 and subjectively couldn't tell the difference between them and Carawicks.

Summer is a bad time to judge pellet output. Like I say so many times, get a magnetic thermometer and plunk that on the stove front and crank the stove up for at least half a day to compare between brands. Regardless of what the gauge says,a crappy pellet won't pin the needle like a good pellet always does...and that is where it counts on an extremely cold day....or consumption vs heat output for a particular stove setting. Realize that if you can get the same heat....or even better, be able to heat your house on the lowest stove setting, you are then saving more than whatever small change you may see in the purchase price.
Oh and to be fair...I have not burned Cozys since I found out how bad they were. But until someone tells me they have started using a different process and things have changed, one can only assume they haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.