Masonry Adapter to Clay Lined Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VASteve

Feb 2, 2023
Round Hill VA
Hi everyone,
I am finally installing my VC Intrepid 2, but I have one question that I need help with.

I have an existing clay lined chimney that I bought a masonry adapter to fit into. I'm using double wall 6" pipe from the stove and the clay pipe to the chimney is 8".

1) Should I use a ceramic fiber insulation blanket for the space between, cement, or something else?
2) The clay pipe is about 12" deep and the adapter only extends about 8". Will this be ok?

Thanks for any advice or help!

Is the chimney lined with clay tile? What is the ID of the chimney?

Yes, the chimney is lined with a clay and the inside measures about 7x11.
Venting a 6" stove into a 7x11 chimney is probably not going to work well

Do you think it will draft enough to use or should I just bite the bullet and install a stainless liner?
How tall is the chimney? Is it interior or exterior? Does the chimney have all the required clearances to combustibles

It is an exterior chimney that as far as I know has all required clearances. The overall height is probably around 30'.
Ok with that height you will have plenty of draft but also have tons of lost btus from the chimney which could cause major issues with creosote buildup

Ok, so I should forget about trying to make this work with my existing chimney and just do a stainless liner? If it makes a difference, I do not plan on heating the house with this, it is just a supplemental hear source.

I am confident I can fit an unisulated liner into the existing flue pipe, but to have an insulated liner I would most likely need to break out the clay liner. Any thoughts on this?

Ok, so I should forget about trying to make this work with my existing chimney and just do a stainless liner? If it makes a difference, I do not plan on heating the house with this, it is just a supplemental hear source.

I am confident I can fit an unisulated liner into the existing flue pipe, but to have an insulated liner I would most likely need to break out the clay liner. Any thoughts on this?
You can use an.oval liner as well

Ok, I'll plan to do this in the future. For this season, can I connect the DVL pipe to my masonry thimble (see photo)? If so, what part(s) should I use?

Will either of these work?

6DLR-MTSC​

Adapter-6DT-FC​

Question 2: Can I connect my DVL pipe directly to the stove collar on my Intrepid 2? The appliance adapter is very loose and the DVL actually fits snug into the stove collar. Is this an acceptable installation (Photo 2)? If so, should I put a few screws through to ensure it stays in place?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

0813231235a.jpg 0813231236.jpg

Yes, you can use the DVL directly on the stove. It should be screwed to the flue collar.