Masonry fireplace with offset flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
I recently saw a home with two fireplaces sharing one chimney. One fireplace on each floor with separate terra cotta liners serving each. The basement fireplace looked odd to me and I am wondering if this is normal construction: The firebox is traditional firebrick with a metal damper. Above the damper there is a very large brick throat with no smoke shelf and the liner comes in on the far right side of the throat, not centered like I have normally seen. Also the throat is exposed brick in a step pattern to the right directing the smoke towards the liner.

House was built in the 70s. Was/is this a normal acceptable procedure?

Last edited:
The fireplace that was in our house had a similar setup with the chimney throat off to one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.