Masonry Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hillcountryhearth

Apr 7, 2020
New Braunfels, TX
Hello all! Though I am new to here, I have been reading through the forums for the last month researching different types of stoves/fireplaces and insulations. What a wealth of knowledge many members possess!
I tried to find an answer to my question on past forums but was unsuccessful.
We have an Earth Stove Traditions T150C.
Our clearance space on back is 36 inches. With a masonry (standard masonry brick) wall it is 12 inches.
Our goal is the attached pic.

I have two questions:
1. I know I need to leave a 1" gap behind the masonry. Do I need to leave a gap at the bottom of the masonry wall by leaving every other brick out?

2. Should I use hollow or solid bricks?

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• Fireplace.JPG
    Fireplace.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 445
Just adding:
1. I know I need to leave a 1" gap behind the masonry. Do I need to leave a gap at the bottom of the masonry wall by leaving every other brick out? Or can the wall be floor to ceiling?

Yes, you need the 1" gap on the bottom, the shield needs to be floating. I wouldn't use whole brocks because of the weight. I'd mount the a sheet of cement board on 1" spacers then use a veneer of choice to get the aesthetic look your going for.

Thank you for replying Kennyp. If I did something like this (photo attached) would I need to leave a gap on the ends as well or would the space at the top and bottom of the wall be enough? We are wanting to cap off the ends with a fireproof drywall to give it a smooth look. Our placement is in an alcove not a corner.
AF6B6497-6042-4002-93BF-FD88A2128803.jpeg

Thank you for replying Kennyp. If I did something like this (photo attached) would I need to leave a gap on the ends as well or would the space at the top and bottom of the wall be enough? We are wanting to cap off the ends with a fireproof drywall to give it a smooth look. Our placement is in an alcove not a corner.
View attachment 259124
Im not sure that counts as a ventilated heat shield, check out a few of these sites, again you will be at the mercy of local inspectors and insurance agents when building something like this, I'd come up with a plan, rough sketch drawing and get approval ahead of time before doing the work.
https://woodheat.org/clearances.html - Canadian but good insight
https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...s/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=211 - the actual nfpa code.

Im not sure that counts as a ventilated heat shield, check out a few of these sites, again you will be at the mercy of local inspectors and insurance agents when building something like this, I'd come up with a plan, rough sketch drawing and get approval ahead of time before doing the work.
https://woodheat.org/clearances.html - Canadian but good insight
https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...s/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=211 - the actual nfpa code.

Thank you! I've read the NFPA and our local codes as well, they all talk about heat shields and floating 1" (minimum) above the floor, but I am confused!
How do people float standard masonry walls 1" above the ground?

We are wanting to use standard brick, there was a fireplace here previously and there is a brick foundation beneath our alcove so weight shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Thank you! I've read the NFPA and our local codes as well, they all talk about heat shields and floating 1" (minimum) above the floor, but I am confused!
How do people float standard masonry walls 1" above the ground?

We are wanting to use standard brick, there was a fireplace here previously and there is a brick foundation beneath our alcove so weight shouldn't be a problem.
I would not float it, but transfer the weight to the floor with a support system that yields the 1" air gap and is mostly open. I would probably want the bottom gap at least 80% open. As mentioned earlier, sketch it up and get it approved before doing the work.

Would 18" work? Instead of trying for a ventilated wall another option is a solid brick wall for a 50% clearance reduction.

If you want a brick wall that is ventilated you could put up a ventilated cementboard wall on spacers, then do a thin brick veneer on that.

Have a metal shop make a ventilated base for the masonry to set on. If you have a welder it would be simple. Couple of flat metal (SS or aluminum would work too) pieces with spacers welded between.

Thank you all for your help! I went back to the house tonight and did some additional measurements. A 50% reduction could work.

I appreciate all the advice and will post a pic when complete!
Best wishes from the Texas Hill Country

Great, they should be full-sized brick for a 4" thick wall and remember that the clearances are to the wall behind the brick, not to the face of the brick.