Masons of the Hearth - chimney repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a large mason contractor nearby, you might want to see if you can buy some leftover
brick from them. It's a small chimney, you may be able to get a high quality brick and even a
custom mortar as well. Take a picture of the flashing before tear down and remember that
cricket!
https://=image+of+a+chimney+cricket&iax=1&ia=images

Yah it would seem to me the cricket and flashing will be one of the most important pieces. I plan to take a bunch of pics along the way and hopefully run the details by y'all here to make sure I'm on the correct path.

I have a large masonry supply building centre in my local town and at least now with a few scribbled notes from this thread I shouldn't look like a complete horses ass when I get to town.
Talk to them every area has different types of brick and sand available and every climate has different masonry products that will work best. They will know what will work for you. You are lucky to have a good masonry supply place by you we have several but some areas are really lacking in that feild

Ha! Full disclosure. The roof is done but the chimney is not. Springtime turned into haying season and roping season and on and on and on. And this project got put on the back burner. When push came to shove this wasn't falling down but my roof was leaking so I put the chimney off and re-roofed. Not with the metal I had planned but asphalt shakes.

I did start my sweep business and will update that thread when I get a chance. Now I'm like the mechanic with the failing brakes in his own vehicle. My chimney will have to wait and stand another year.

I do feel like I've let those down who have offered me their advice. Sorry about that. But rest assured it will have to happen at some point and I appreciate the input.

Reactions: brickie
Status
Not open for further replies.