Material in the back of an Isle Royale (startup air seal)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did I gotta go through a dealer. but quadrafire service department might not sell it to me through a dealer cause the woman said from quadrafire the gaskets were non sellable item.

Can you get a quote for the entire assembly (part 18)? Do they sell that?

Finally !!! came across a normal Quad dealer!! he ordered me the 2 gaskets i need for $25 thank GOD!! the last Quad dealer only had price sheets FROM 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEY DONT CALL YOU BACK!! the place is in Hawley PA STAY AWAY !! goto Ace Hardware (used to be Lurhs true Value) in Milford PA and ask for Matt GREAT GUY!!!

Congratulations. It pays to be persistent. What did he say to use for adhesive to glue down the two valve valve seals on the plate?

I would think that a thin, even layer of stove cement would suffice for the glue. I would keep it as flat as possible though.

That's exactly what I was going to use Jags.

I am not sure regular stove cement is the best adhesive, especially on a flat surface. Check with the dealer. By the color it sounds like they used a form of RTV silicone. Or Craig mentioned a stove gasket adhesive he liked better a while back.

Last edited:
BeGreen said:
I am not sure regular stove cement is the best adhesive, especially on a flat surface. Check with the dealer. By the color it sounds like they used a form of RTV silicone. Or Craig mentioned a stove gasket adhesive he liked better a while back.

You may be right, BG. I was just thinking that the gasket simply has to be held in place and there is little to no pressure that will be applied to the cement. The gasket will be the "bumper". I am pretty sure that there is some higher temps to contend with, so whatever the product is - it should be temp resistant.

I agree, check with the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on clearance on this valve's backside, I wonder if there is room for a mechanical method of fastening the gasket in addition to the glue? I was thinking something like thin stainless strips, pop riveted in place.

BeGreen said:
Depending on clearance on this valve's backside, I wonder if there is room for a mechanical method of fastening the gasket in addition to the glue? I was thinking something like thin stainless strips, pop riveted in place.

I am guessing that it is probably not needed. Plus if he is using the original gaskets, there won't be much excess gasket to get ahold of for a mechanical fastener, cuz you can't put anything in the area that is doing the sealing.

There is plenty of clearence the hinge with the silver flake material swings out 1/2 to 3/4. Lol I know I got a good deal with this stove I had a guy offer me $3500 that's a $2200 profit I said now way!!! That Isle Royale is mine I don't have Sweat and Tears into it but I def got blood!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.