Maximum diameter of log?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whatyousmokin

Oct 10, 2021
Morning!
New to the world of using a wood burning stove and new to log splitting. Stove is a Hearthstone Heritage 8024. Specifications are a maximum log length of 21" and firebox capacity of 2.2 cu ft. Was just curious if there is a maximum log diameter? We have tons of wood (mostly ash, but some white mulberry, black cherry, elm, and osage orange) that we will be splitting for burn season next year. Been told by a couple people that logs that are up to about 6" diameter do not need split. Any thoughts?
wood to split.jpg
wood split and stacked for 2021.jpg

You don't have to split six inchers. I generally split anything bigger than 3". But I do like a 6" round occasionally for an evening fire with a yuletide look.

I agree with all the other posters that say use caution when burning wood that isnt split, the bark on the outside doesnt allow much surface area to let the wood dry
I like big splits and roll on average between 4-7" now, but my wood is split and stacked for 3 years minimum, 2 of those years in a covered woodshed.
The best advice - split everything 3" and above at least in half to increase surface area of bear wood to sun and wind. Also keep in mind that wood needs to be dry, hard woods can take 2 years split and stacked to dry for burning, most oak woods can take up to 3 years split and stacked, even dead standing wood is wet, best to buy a moisture meter and check a freshly split face at room temp to aim for 20% moisture or lower.

1-hand test. Small enough to grip/lift with 1 hand.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
A couple of very broad rules of thumb. Wood will dry about 1" deep from a split face per year. And wood dries far quicker from a split face versus bark covered face. So if you are trying to speed up drying then split it smaller and make sure you have lots of split faces. If you have a modern stove with good air control do not be worried about using smaller wood. The old method of throwing big splits on fire to stretch burn times needs to be done with care and it can backfire into turning into a dirty burn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osage and Sawset
i guess it kinda depends on you and your stove i have a ussc 1557m hotblast furnace and it can handle upwards of 27 inches in length and 11 inches in diametor wood ive definetely used would that big and came to the realisation thqt it aint all that smart usin that big of log in there it lasted me a long time and usually just end up keepin stuff to bout 8 inches max diametor