Maximum length for outside air pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
As the title says, is there a maximum run length for a 4" diameter outside air pipe?

Thanks!

"Run". Vertical or horizontal? Air intake or chimney?

Sorry, wasn't very clear.

Air intake. I'm able to drop into the crawl space but have to run about 25'. I know there's a length limit on things like dryer vents and exhaust fans before it starts killing air flow. Just wondering if the same applies here.

Docs for most stoves are vague on this question, but I did find that Quadrafire says the oak length should not exceed the total flue length.

I would not be afraid to try a 25' run. You might even go with a 6" if you don't get enough air flow.

No thoughts on reverse flow then eh?

Could be a problem for sure but might be worth a try.

Not if that oak wants to become a flue.

True sometimes but not always! Warm air will always want to travel up rather than down. I've seen this type of setup work, but only one time.

With the reverse flow you mentioned....

What happens? It starts drawing air down the chimney and the OAK tries to act as the flue??

Also, do I add the stovepipe length into total flue length?

Status
Not open for further replies.