maybe replacing Lopi Patriot and wondering about combination wood/gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robman

Oct 13, 2017
Oakland, CA
Hi
I own a Lopi Patriot that we had installed in a fireplace that we have since removed for seismic reasons and am now building an alcove for it. The Patriot is not the best alcove stove out there. I was thinking last night that since I may end up changing out the patriot that I have, I should see if there are any combination wood and gas stoves out there. The Bay Area seems to have more and more spare the air days every winter. A few years ago, they did not even allow burns on Thanksgiving or Christmas day even though there is no industry and little traffic those days compared to normal days. I have seen combination wood/natural gas fireplaces but does anyone know if there are any freestanding stoves that can do both (wood on normal days, natural gas on no burn days)?

Thanks

Rob

I have never seen a combination wood gas fireplace or stove. Other than fireplaces with log lighters.

If you have natural gas, maybe that would be the way to go. There are some very nice units out there with great looking fires.

I am not a Y2k type of guy but I want to stay with wood burning as my main go to for three reasons--first I love the look etc. of real wood burning. Second, I am a woodworker and have lots of scraps to burn and third, I believe the day we do have a big earthquake, we will want to use a wood stove to heat the house and probably cook. Maybe a company will try to make one seeing as there appear to be more and more places with no burn days.

Thanks for your responses

Rob

I don't know of any combo stoves so back to original suggestions.