MC300 Micore Board - Two pieces for hearth extension ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cntbill

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2008
Reading PA Area
www.cnt-web.biz
Hi

I am putting in a wood fireplace and the specs call for Micore Board or equilivent R factor. So I found a place on line that I could order a 72 x 20 x 1/2 piece, so I did. It arrived but they cut it in half I guess for shipping purposes.

So my question is... Is it safe to use two pieces ? Would it meet the NFPA code? And if so what would I seal the seam with?

Thanks for your patience, as this is a new experience for me.

Bill...

Just an update,

What I did was cut like a over lap between the two half's as I think this will suffice keeping the same thickness and no gap between sheet half's. Also covered it with Durock.

So OK? any thoughts.

(attached a pic)

Attachments

• MC300 Micore Board - Two pieces for hearth extension ?
    DSCF2673.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 598
The micore is for thermal transfer protection not ember protection so I don't think you have to worry about the two pieces as long as the joint is tight.

Can you post the place you purchased it, a lot of people come around looking for it. Most places will only sell it to you if you buy a pallet full.

Thermal protection is what I kind of thought, that's why the Durock and then on top of the Durock will be a piece of Granite.

I found the micore at MantelsDirect.com. To me there shipping is a little slow, little over a week, but at least I got it. Shipping would have been free if my order was over $100 or so.

I stumbled on the Micore board looking for a surround as the site doesn't have it listed as a supply, but there is a link to it towards the bottom of the page once you select one of the stone surrounds.

Here is the links: http://www.mantelsdirect.com/MC300-Micore-Board?sc=18&category=304

Ahhh, I see now, not a full sheet. That is very similar to what we stock to use under hearths. I think we can get 72" or 60" x 20" x 1/2". Still a good resource for people to know.

Yes, it took me a few evenings of searching and browsing when I stumbled on it. But, I wasn't too sure about posting links to business sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.