Measuring wall spacing for insurance co. - does hopper count as "wall protection"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigers2007

Apr 3, 2013
Michigan
Stove: Harman P68 (built in 2011 I think)

I'm measuring my own stove for Farm Bureau as I live in a very remote area. I'm going to send them a slurry of hires photos showing the measuring tape. The form has a section called, "Wall Protection" and gives me the following choices:

**3 1/2" Masonry **Sheet Metal **Prefabricated wall protector

Is there at least 1" of air space between back of wall protector and wall?

Can air freely circulate into and out of the space behind the shield?

I see that the hopper is spaced at least 1" from the box but air cannot flow freely through it. Does the hopper count as the actual stove or do I measure the wall spacing from the outer edge of the hopper to the wall?

When I read over the paperwork my insurance needed it used the term firebox and to take all measurements from there. Sounds like your insurance company is not very familiar with pellet stoves and needs to elaborate on what clearances they need. I would have a copy of the manufactures recommended clearances on hand to show them.

If you don't have the owner's manual for the stove, you should be able to find it on Harman's web site. It will give detailed instructions on measuring the clearances.

You may need to have a conversation with them as well. Sounds like they are asking for info that primarily relates to a traditional wood stove, where all outside surfaces function as a heat radiator (i.e., get hot) rather than a pellet stove. If you give them clearances found for a pellet stove (which can be much closer to walls and with much less protection) they may instantly and erroneously freak out. They may simply not have a pellet stove form yet, but it likely warrants clarification.

yea, that's all woodstove-type questions....don't forget that modern pellet stoves are UL/OMNI-listed, include clearance criterion in their manuals, are positive pressure appliances (versus woodstoves, which are negative-pressure appliances)........so, the insurance company is likely just handing you are form which pertains to traditional woodstoves, not UL-listed pellet appliances........and no, I don't think the bin does count as "wall protection"

I ended up just giving them the measurements from the actual firebox and not the pellet box and they accepted it without question. Regardless, mines more than double from Harman's minimums.

Status
Not open for further replies.