memco vs tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memco

Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2008
Western Maine
I currently have an older MEMCO MW100 heating the house and garage but am thinking of buying and older HS Tarm 500 series (72000BTU) The house is well insulated 1500 sq.ft. and I'm wondering if I would burn a lot less wood over the course of a winter. Currenly we burn about 4-5 cords of mixed hardwood. Would the unit be to small? I am getting some creosote with the MEMCO any truth of a lot less with a Tarm? I am open to suggestions so let them fly. Thanks for your help

I have a tarm 502 and it does not produce much creosote. I never have to clean the chimney. I do get some buildup in the firebox when I burn not so seasoned wood though. The tarms are real picky about having good seasoned wood. They don;t produce nearly as much heat with green wood than as with dry wood. Also I almost always burn flat out full bore, so that also almost eliminates the creosote production.
Mike

I was told it was a 500 but I am waiting for pictures. I did not ask him if it was a combo unit but will follow up. Thanks for the input. Sounds like I am on the right track for a cleaner burning stove. Another thought, he is asking $1000 for the unit but just wondering if I should hold off and buy the latest and greatest from TARM? Thanks for your hellp

An auctioneer I know always says
" The more you pay for it, the more it's worth"
Does that help?

I cannot imagine it being a 500 series......but every tarm has the model number clearly stamped on a metal plate affixed to the top of the boiler.

$1000 is a great price - IF it is what you want and it is in decent condition. But this may be an older MB30 or MB40 (based on your 72K btu) - and if so it is not worth $1000.....wait and see. If you get a pic, I can probably id

I'd guess even at 72,000 output that boiler is more than adequate. Without doing a load calc I'd guess no more that 25-27 btu/ square foot on a reasonably well insulated home. Your load should be in the 40,000 BTU/ hr range on DESIGN, typically the coldest day.

hr

I did get the pictures from the owner and it is an MB30 so I guess I'll wait to see if a newer unit comes up. By the way are the "gasification" units all they are cracked up to be? Thoughts on the "Greenwood" hydronic boiler? Thanks

Just picked up a Memco MEM 100 today for a re-install. Can't believe the condition of this steel plate boiler. Apart from a little surface rust on the bottom rear below the ash tray and on the rear access panel screw threads, a little sooting around the front door and a clouded temp/pressure gauge lens, it's almost as new. Paralleled with a Weil-McLain Oil Boiler, it has been in dedicated three seasons usage here in NH since 1979, heating a 200+ year old Colonial. Even the Manuals are A1. Goes to show what a little TLC can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.