Mendota remote does not change flame height. Always at highest setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pos1234

Dec 21, 2020
MN
Mendota DXV35 gas fireplace (on LP). Worked fine for the first couple years. I cleaned the fireplace last year, taking out all the logs. Did a little vacuuming, cleaned the glass, etc. Nothing major. Reinstalled.

Now, the remote does not have any affect on the flame height. The remote shows the height being lowered (it turns ON at the highest height, which is normal), so the bars will go from 5 to 1 (or turn off at 0 bars). The fireplace receives the signal because I can hear the audible beep as feedback. Click for flame height and the fireplace beeps. But no change in flame height.

All other remote functions worked as intended (blower, fireplace light, pilot setting, etc.).

I called a service guy and he was more than happy to walk me through a couple options, as I do consider myself handy, but we didn't find anything that would fix this (nor did I make any actual changes). I did do some reading on the shutter control, after he mentioned that, but from what I've read in the manual that only affects how the flame looks (blue vs. orange) and not the height of the flame.

He mentioned there's a piezo valve that controls the flame height, but it's very rare for that to fail. There is NO manual flame height setting.

Any help would be appreciated. Service guy is scheduled for Jan. 13. Would love to save some cash and fix this on my own.

Can you post a pic of the gas valve? The term "piezo valve" is not familiar to me.
Steppers motors I'm familiar with & I've seen solenoids used for flame height
adjustment as well...

It’s a stepper motor. Not sure where I got piezo valve. Too much reading I think.

see attachment.

Attachments

• 3C0B3D4D-7F42-4C00-AEC0-971B0EB9F341.jpeg
    3C0B3D4D-7F42-4C00-AEC0-971B0EB9F341.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 181
Take that cover off. Inspect the wires that go to the stepper motor for damage, they are delicate.

Take that cover off. Inspect the wires that go to the stepper motor for damage, they are delicate.
attached is the photo. I don't see any loose wires or anything else wrong with that stepper motor. At least externally.

Attachments

• IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 160