Message for St. Croix fabricators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cold front

Mar 3, 2009
western,NY
I am leaving some feedback on my Prescott stove here in hopes that one of the fabricators from st Croix might read it. They do not have anyway of getting a hold of them direct. Everything goes through the dealer it seems. So here it goes:

I have owned the stove for 4 years now and other than a combustion fan go nothing else major. There is one thing that would be an easy fix at the factory that would prevent many unnecessary service calls and that is the use of a THREADLOCKER during assembly of machined thread screws:

1) The connecting rod set screw for the Versa Grate cam has worked loose several times making a horrible sound before failing.

2) All 4 screws holding the Circuit board to it's enclosure worked itself loose at the same time causing the board to fall into it's metal container. I am assuming that the metal container is grounded but if not properly grounded this may cause an electrical or fire hazard.

Thanks, last time I checked the site was a year or so ago and that was not there.

Their reps do frequent this forum on a regular basis so
not a bad idea to post here. I can add a small
tidbit - not that it was a big deal but still.
Two seasons ago the nut that was tack welded
to secure the tube scraper let go. Interestingly
enough the inner portion of the rod (at least on my stove)
has a few threads on it. My fix was to
put double ss nuts on there and check it often.
Have to use a mirror to see up in there but it worked.
Just thinking they could make it a little sturdier from
the get go.

Xena said:
Their reps do frequent this forum on a regular basis so
not a bad idea to post here. I can add a small
tidbit - not that it was a big deal but still.
Two seasons ago the nut that was tack welded
to secure the tube scraper let go. Interestingly
enough the inner portion of the rod (at least on my stove)
has a few threads on it. My fix was to
put double ss nuts on there and check it often.
Have to use a mirror to see up in there but it worked.
Just thinking they could make it a little sturdier from
the get go.

Funny you mentioned that. I often wondered what I'd do if this ever happened to me. Nice fix

MacSierra said:
Seems like a vibration problem?? Are the combustion and convection motors causing this?

No, I don't think it is a vibration problem. The versa grate system is mechanical (a few moving parts) and really should have thread-lock paste on the set screws. The circuit board coming loose from its enclosure is do to the normal use of turning it on and off and also throwing the switch from manual, tempset and smart temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.