Metal chimney pipe too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vizzy92

Oct 22, 2022
North East USA
How’s it going, all? My fiancé and I just purchased our first home and it has a wood burning stove (it says the fire boss on the doors) in the basement. It connects to a metal double wall chimney that is just a few inches off the house. I had an inspector come out and to my delight, he said you’re good to burn this winter. So, in prep for the winter, I did a test burn and the double wall chimney that has a dent at the bottom, is quite hot to the touch. Noticeably hotter than all the other parts. I can keep my hand on the other parts but not on the dent. I’ve attached a picture. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advanced!
-Viz

BEA85B3D-ECCA-4D05-BD42-E5254D0E6C65.png

If the chimney pipe has 2" clearance or more from the house, it's ok.

Reactions: Vizzy92
Where the dent is, it’s 3” of clearance. The rest of the chimney is 1 3/4” clearance. Is that an issue?
Yes if it requires 2" it requires 2"

Yes, it's ok to exceed the minimum requirement, but not ok to go less.

What condition is that tee in? It looks like it might be coming apart and someone tried sealing it. Is there class A pipe going through the wall into the basement?

You will need to be careful to keep anything from growing around that tee and make sure that no leaves accumulate near it.

Reactions: Vizzy92
Yes, it's ok to exceed the minimum requirement, but not ok to go less.

What condition is that tee in? It looks like it might be coming apart and someone tried sealing it. Is there class A pipe going through the wall into the basement?

You will need to be careful to keep anything from growing around that tee and make sure that no leaves accumulate near it.
The bottom cap of the tee is a little rusted but not bad. The pipe going through the wall was vert cold to the touch about 1 hour into the burn (from the outside, I didn’t check the inside part touching the wall).