Metal chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donk4kyv

Dec 30, 2013
North central TN
I have noticed that ALL the manufactured metal chimneys I have seen advertised or installed on houses, appear designed come up through the roof to one side of the peak.

Mine replaced a crumbling brick interior chimney that came through right at the peak, but since no hardware was available to pass the replacement through the peak, the installer used a rubber boot that he says should last about 20 years before it would start leaking. It has worked OK for several years, but appears kind of jury-rigged to me.

I intend to eventually build a structure over the spot the same size and height as the old chimney and let the metal flue come up through that, probably covering the exterior with faux bricks to make it resemble the original, with the flue pipe coming out the top. This would also protect the rubber boot from further deterioration from the elements.

My question is why no manufacturer makes an assembly designed to exit at the peak, since many old masonry chimneys were built that way and metal ones are often used as replacements.

Attached is an image from one of the ads on this site, to illustrate what I'm talking about. Also, a photo of what my current installation looks like.

Metal  chimney question Metal  chimney question

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is why no manufacturer makes an assembly designed to exit at the peak, since many old masonry chimneys were built that way and metal ones are often used as replacements.
Several do ventis and excell do for sure.

Several do ventis and excell do for sure.
I noticed the same brands had them.

I myself would do just what you are describing. Although as far as leaking, its probably the best place to not have to worry about a leak. No water is running down past the penetration point.

Status
Not open for further replies.