Metal Exspansion Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
Hello Everyone,
I have a Heat & Glow FB Grand Fireplace Insert with the optional blower which has a metal shell around the ceramic firebox that traps the heat and directs it to the front of the unit to be distributed into the room.
The problem is when the blower is turned on at the temperature it is suppose to start operation by the snap switch, shortly thereafter, there is a thud which is the metal in the shell exspanding, (I believe this is called the oil can effect). The vibration from this thud causes the log that touches the back wall of the ceramic firebox to move slightly everytime this occurs. It moves this log off the flat spots of the two other logs on which it rests towards the glass front.
This is causing the paint on the back of the cermaic firebox to get rubbed off is one area and also causes the log to move forward and touch the glass eventually.
Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone give me some advice on a fix for this problem?
Once again, this is a fantastic site for advice.
Thanks,
John

I don't think there is an easy solution to that. It will probably take some factory service to get things smoothed out. You should contact your dealer or Heat N Glo and see if there is a factory tech bulletin on fixing it. It is not a real big deal, but can be annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.