Metal Roof For Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Hey everyone, I'm close to finishing my woodshed, just need to install the metal roof panels. Is it necessary to seal the sales where the metal roof panels overlap one another? I'm thinking it shouldn't be, but does anyone have experience to the contrary?

Thanks,

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
For a wood shed, I wouldn’t think so. They should have overlapping ridges designed to keep water out at the seams

Exposed fastener correct? No sealing needed.

I would say depends on the pitch. Mine only drops 1ft in 12 so mine I would seal a little to be safe. Anything more than that and I would say no.

Reactions: all night moe
That's what I thought. Mine drops 2 feet over 8 feet so I'm sure I'm good.

I have three 8' x 8' bays (8 x 24) with 1 in 12 metal roof over them for my shed. They are not sealed and they have never leaked at all. The ribs are something like 3/4" high, so as long as you keep them reasonably clear from debris, the water all comes off and doesn't wick up the overlap. I have to brush or blow my roof off once a year from pine needles and branches and so on that collect.

I have three 8' x 8' bays (8 x 24) with 1 in 12 metal roof over them for my shed. They are not sealed and they have never leaked at all. The ribs are something like 3/4" high, so as long as you keep them reasonably clear from debris, the water all comes off and doesn't wick up the overlap. I have to brush or blow my roof off once a year from pine needles and branches and so on that collect.
No need just blow leaves off after they've fallen, here's my 12X24 lean to with metal roof dry as a bone. You're good. Open on north and south sides great air flow no problems whatsoever.

w2.jpg

No need just blow leaves off after they've fallen, here's my 12X24 lean to with metal roof dry as a bone. You're good. Open on north and south sides great air flow no problems whatsoever.

View attachment 283514
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've got it all finished up and full at this point. It's withstood some rain at and everything is looking good.

Unknown.jpeg

Reactions: all night moe