Methods Of Starting Our Fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
As I was relighting my Grandma stove this morning I thought about the different ways I started this stove and many others over the years and the method I now do every morning.
So my question is:
What is the process you use to lite your stove?

#1 BC47B107-CFEF-4D40-8010-3C9177C52E41.jpeg

#2 B59DEC32-9AB8-4D91-B633-574C2D6A1CE9.jpeg

#3 ECFA673C-684E-45CF-8846-DE49E4225691.jpeg
When my grandchildren visit me, to keep them busy I have them gather pinecones. Then it’s off to get strawberry sundaes !!
I have a 3’ x 3’ x 3’ box filled for the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I typically only start 4 or 5 fires a year so I never really give it much thought. A little cardboard a a 2x4 split down with splits ontop.

That’s too bad. We understand why, I know lots of people that do not use them too often. Cutting, splitting, hauling, dusty, going to work etc..... it’s a lot of work and none of us are getting any younger. I use my stove as my primary source of heat. My oil furnace is my backup. I go thru approximately 5 cord a year. If use only the furnace we feel cold. With the wood stove it is nice and comfortable. After a heavy day of snowmobiling and ice fishing it is great to feel the heat.

That’s too bad. We understand why, I know lots of people that do not use them too often. Cutting, splitting, hauling, dusty, going to work etc..... it’s a lot of work and none of us are getting any younger. I use my stove as my primary source of heat. My oil furnace is my backup. I go thru approximately 5 cord a year. If use only the furnace we feel cold. With the wood stove it is nice and comfortable. After a heavy day of snowmobiling and ice fishing it is great to feel the heat.
Mine is my primary heat source as well. But the only time I have to start a fire is when we are gone for more than day. Anything less than that I just rake coals and load it up

I have recently started lighting the fire/kindling ontop of the wood instead of below it. It creates less smoke upon start up. I am still coming up with a method which works really well for me.
some times the fire on top only works ok and the wood underneath smokes because the fire has gone out.

trying to get the transition from kindling to larger sized wood sometimes slows the fire considerably.

Its a work in progress.

Kind of a hard photo to see

IMG_1049.JPG

I do a pretty fair amount of wood working, so I usually have plenty of scraps from that (I don't use plywood scraps). If I run low or out of that, the kids (and dogs) gather sticks up to about 2 or 3 inches. I also use pieces of bark and splinters resulting from spliting. I kinda just sprinkle it in around the spilts and light it off with a map gas torch.