Mid-February, Wood Pile, and New Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
It is truly hard to imagine a more beautiful day. It is mid-February, very sunny, and around 65 degrees. It has been nice being outside working on cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood. Last night I picked up a new log splitter which worked quite well today on the blackgum. It would have been a nightmare trying to split it by hand. For mid-February my wood stacks are looking pretty good. Actually, this is the best that they have ever looked at this point in the winter. If I add another couple of cords later this winter or in early Spring, they'll be full. Definitely have to be thankful for these beautiful days in the middle of winter!

Attachments

• Wood Splitter.jpg
    Wood Splitter.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Woodpile 1.jpg
    Woodpile 1.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Woodpile 2.jpg
    Woodpile 2.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 285
Sweet...nice job there.
What kind of a splitter did you WI d up getting?

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Sweet...nice job there.
What kind of a splitter did you WI d up getting?
I ended up purchasing a Dirty Hand 22 Ton from Lowes. They had a great sale going for $899 and 18 months interest free financing. The reviews on it were really high and the warranty is 3 years with 2 years on the Kohler engine. I thought that for the price and the high reviews it was worth the money..... :) Also, it DOES NOT have the bolt-on log carrier like some of the other models. It is a solid bar with a welded log carrier.

Nice. It was about 35 yesterday here in upstate NY. To me, that is a perfect winter temp. I find I can work in 30s Temps all day splitting and stacking and hardly breaking a sweat. Today it is looking to be into the 50s. Pretty crazy weather for February. Quite honestly I'm hoping the snowmobile season isn't totally shot.

Aaaand now you have me tempted to check out one of those splitters...

Nice. It was about 35 yesterday here in upstate NY. To me, that is a perfect winter temp. I find I can work in 30s Temps all day splitting and stacking and hardly breaking a sweat. Today it is looking to be into the 50s. Pretty crazy weather for February. Quite honestly I'm hoping the snowmobile season isn't totally shot.
Aaaand now you have me tempted to check out one of those splitters...
Where in the Upstate are you? I used to live in Buffalo & Arcade, NY.

Very nice! You know your making good progress when your wood stacks are growing this time of the year!

Very nice! You know your making good progress when your wood stacks are growing this time of the year!
I know! It is nice seeing the wood pile grow but I am also somewhat concerned about the affect this will have on the "bug population" for the spring and summer. Without the cold to control the bug population we could have an excessive amount of bugs.

How's the splitter so far?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The splitter so far is great! I like the solid metal beam and the welded log supports. The engine is a 6.5 hp Kohler and seems solid. I also like that it has a throttle control so that I can control engine speed. I split a cord of blackgum on one tank of gas. Thus far, no negatives. I figure that for $899 it is hard to beat....

Reactions: BetterCallMaul
The splitter so far is great! I like the solid metal beam and the welded log supports. The engine is a 6.5 hp Kohler and seems solid. I also like that it has a throttle control so that I can control engine speed. I split a cord of blackgum on one tank of gas. Thus far, no negatives. I figure that for $899 it is hard to beat....
Nice. Probably buying that same one. Got to use a Gravely 27 ton today with a 16 sec cycle time. I hear the DHT is under 11 seconds and $600 cheaper. I think 22 ton will be more than enough.

I know! It is nice seeing the wood pile grow but I am also somewhat concerned about the affect this will have on the "bug population" for the spring and summer. Without the cold to control the bug population we could have an excessive amount of bugs.
I have the same exact concern. It already looks like the critter problem is getting worse around here. For example, I got a few chigger bites last month. Chiggers aren't usually too bad around here but I don't ever recall encountering them in the middle of winter. Also, I recently pulled a fully engorged tick off of my cat. In February. And the cat never goes outside. So the ticks are not only active but they're managing to hitch a ride inside!

Nice. Probably buying that same one. Got to use a Gravely 27 ton today with a 16 sec cycle time. I hear the DHT is under 11 seconds and $600 cheaper. I think 22 ton will be more than enough.

It split the blackgum easily.... I was very impressed with how it worked.

i approve :) support colorado companies!

my dht got some use this weekend too!
20170219_145543.jpg

Reactions: toddnic