Milder climate - How to burn correctly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has their own line - for us if the house hits 60 the stove is going to be fired up. Outside temp has little to do with it - well, other than the fact that if it is warmer outside than inside and it is cold inside we may open the window :)

50* nights and 65* days? I can see burning in those temps although around here I think it is more likely to be 40's at night and 65 during the day - only having a 15* swing is a bit small unless it is raining.

flyingpig said:
BrotherBart - you said the same think like my wife. We used to live in FL for 9 years and she got used to it. Anything below 70 is "cold" for her. :) On the other hand, I had been flying up north almost weekly so I'd rather be in shorts & T-shirt at 55 degree!!

Cheers.....Som

Sit in a 55 degree living room watching TV in those shorts and tee shirt for a while, and get back to me. ;-)

Wood stoves are a heating system. You probably only use your heat when you get cold. Depending on your climate, that could mean different things. 50 degrees and sunny in April, I am wearing shorts and working on the yard. The same temp in October, I might be firing up the stove. The stove is there to be used. As long as you are safe, no worries, on my part.

BrotherBart said:
flyingpig said:
BrotherBart - you said the same think like my wife. We used to live in FL for 9 years and she got used to it. Anything below 70 is "cold" for her. :) On the other hand, I had been flying up north almost weekly so I'd rather be in shorts & T-shirt at 55 degree!!

Cheers.....Som

Sit in a 55 degree living room watching TV in those shorts and tee shirt for a while, and get back to me. ;-)

Reminds me of the 12 hour shifts I used to work at the power company with some boys that were best described as "big ol bigguns". They would crank the ac down to 62 and lounge around all night with shorts and t shirts on watching TV. I think 55 would be bit too much for even those heavy hitters though.

BrotherBart said:
flyingpig said:

Cheers.....Som

A lot of times it is in the head. Up here 55 is whatever shirt shorts pants, etc. In the spring. Because everyone is used to the cold winters so it is a heatwave.. come fall we dress different in 55 as it is cold to us at that time of the year. In may all the Windows are open when the high can be 60 and low in the upper 40s -50s .. which brings me to this lol in the winter wife says its cold when the house is below 68 ..... in the summer with the ac on the room stays around 64, in the spring, she has all the Windows open when the high is 60 same in the fall..... so how can you be cold at 67 when you wear tee shirt and shorts when its 55-60 out? And not be cold?

iceman said:
BrotherBart said:
flyingpig said:

Cheers.....Som

A lot of times it is in the head. Up here 55 is whatever shirt shorts pants, etc. In the spring. Because everyone is used to the cold winters so it is a heatwave.. come fall we dress different in 55 as it is cold to us at that time of the year. In may all the Windows are open when the high can be 60 and low in the upper 40s -50s .. which brings me to this lol in the winter wife says its cold when the house is below 68 ..... in the summer with the ac on the room stays around 64, in the spring, she has all the Windows open when the high is 60 same in the fall..... so how can you be cold at 67 when you wear tee shirt and shorts when its 55-60 out? And not be cold?

55 degrees outside is a lot different than 55 degrees inside the house during the winter. It's not in my head as I lived two winters with the house at a constant 50-55 degrees inside the house during the day. Your hands are always cold and you never get comfortable. And of course there was that month two years ago when the upstairs was 40 degrees, that was fun.

During the winter this house is unacceptable if it is below 70 degrees as I refuse to live in a cold house during the winter. It sucks.

Now that we have the stove, under 70* is completely unacceptable to all members of the family in the winter.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Now that we have the stove, under 70* is completely unacceptable to all members of the family in the winter.

Yup, totally agree. Just need to make my wife happy. :)

Cheers.....Som

Status
Not open for further replies.